NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Need remedy please (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/166949-remedy-please.html)

new2net98 03-22-2012 10:46 PM

Need remedy please

Does anyone know of a good remedy for swallowing issues? Have been plagued with problems swallowing my own saliva & then choke on it. Irritated throat then makes me cough for hours afterward.

Thanks again for your ideas! :)

doydie 03-22-2012 11:11 PM

Sounds like you need an official swallowing evaluation

Dejibo 03-23-2012 07:51 AM

agreed. you need to be checked out to see if its muscular or viral or what. Please make an appointment. :hug:

SallyC 03-23-2012 10:22 AM

Hi N2N.:) Yes, that saliva choking coughing thingy happens to me, but not often. To prevent it from happening, I never lie down or go to sleep flat on my back. Don't drink milk or eat ice cream before going to bed as it causes more thick saliva.

If you have the problem all the time then, yes get an evaluation and perhaps, swallowing therapy.:hug:

new2net98 03-23-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 863364)
Hi N2N.:) Yes, that saliva choking coughing thingy happens to me, but not often. To prevent it from happening, I never lie down or go to sleep flat on my back. Don't drink milk or eat ice cream before going to bed as it causes more thick saliva.

If you have the problem all the time then, yes get an evaluation and perhaps, swallowing therapy.:hug:

So, another test?? Geesh...does it ever end? Afraid to ask what that entails. Still smiling though...this will make me appreciate life more, right?? LOL!

Debbie D 03-27-2012 04:32 PM

I also recommend a swallowing test. And also try to lower your chin to your chest when swallowing. I also have learned to use lukewarm water when taking pills, and avoiding thick liquids. All of this was recommended either by the techs after my swallow srudy or by the good folks here.

Snoopy 03-27-2012 04:58 PM

Have you had your Thyroid checked?

new2net98 03-27-2012 10:38 PM

'tis ok

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 864463)
Have you had your Thyroid checked?

all normal; thanks for this :)

jackD 03-27-2012 11:06 PM

I have had the same swallowing problem. It was about 10 years before I even suspected MS as the cause.

I had the swallowing test!!

The made swallow gallons of this chalk fluid that was opaque to the xray movie thingie.

Results -I have an abnomal swallowing reflex.!!!!!!!!!!!!

That inert stuff I swallowed formed a LARGE STONE in my gut that was a bloody mess when it exited!!!!

It(swallowing problem)went away in about 6 weeks only to return twice about 12-14 years later.

My only solution was to wrap a wet warm dishcloth around my neck. This relaxed my throat and I was able to swallow.

Spicy foods and cold drinks seemed to trigger it.

jackD