NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Weight Gain.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/43505-weight-gain.html)

sugarboo 04-14-2008 09:49 AM

Weight Gain....

:mad:

I've put on almost 20 lbs since I started on Meds. I'm a very unhappy camper. Any ideas on how to drop this kind of weight? I've become awful fluffy :(

momXseven 04-14-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeans (Post 258185)
:mad:

I've put on almost 20 lbs since I started on Meds. I'm a very unhappy camper. Any ideas on how to drop this kind of weight? I've become awful fluffy :(

2 things I love, chromium picolinate 200mcg per day & Relora 300mg 3 times a day. Remember I was 180lbs 2 years ago from meds and lost 60lbs and have keep it off.

tovaxin_lab_rat 04-14-2008 11:10 AM

Eat well balanced meals every day, no snacking!!! Stay away from the salty stuff and drink lots of water. That's my key.

I put on a whole lot of weight...we won't talk about how much but suffice it to say, I've lost a whole lot more than I put on over the last 3 years.

Once your body adjusts to the meds, you "should" settle down. It's not easy, I know.

Nevada Leftie 04-14-2008 11:24 AM

I had always heard that one gains weight with meds. After having lost 55 pounds (Weight Watchers) over the course of ten months I was a bit leary about taking Neurontin.
However, I found that I have managed to maintain my weight despite myself!
I agree with Av8rgirl, just keep to sensible eating and your weight will settle down. :)
Good Luck!

greta 04-14-2008 11:59 AM

Easy. Eat less and move more! It works and it's cheap!

I've dropped 20 pounds now (woo-hoo, finally broke my plateau) since November. All I've done is walked and eaten healthy. I still eat plenty - I just make sure that it's good stuff.

SallyC 04-14-2008 12:26 PM

I don't wanna talk abouddit..:rolleyes:

watsonsh 04-14-2008 12:34 PM

Cinnamon. Now don't go looking through your spice cabinet :D

Cinnamon helps curb those carb craving between meals. A bunch of us over on the weight loss forum use it. You can get it at Walmart in the vitamin section. And seriously don't use the one in your spice cabinet. Its fine but in large long doses its impure.

Try to start the day with more proteins like egg whites etc instead of yogurt.

Also eat smaller and more frequent meals or snacks. It will keep your glucose and insuling levels from going too low or too high.

Healthy snacks like a low fat mozzarella stick and 5 almonds. Or a slice of turkey and 2 pieces of melon.

Also have a little thing of applesause a little before bed, it will keep your metabolism going and its healthy.

Riverwild 04-14-2008 04:20 PM

My Dad always used to say something very short and sweet ( in that deep voice of his ):

"CLOSE MOUTH MOVE ***!!!!!" :p

I used to HATE that when I was younger, but it works for me now! I just cut all my portions in half and don't snack away from the table. I drink lots of water, especially when I am hungry outside of mealtime.

I try to do some form of exercise daily, even if it's only stretching and a few extra chores around the house and at work. Now that good weather is coming, it's going to be easier to get out and do more! No ice or snow to deal with!!

I just wish I had done it sooner. I wouldn't be so overweight right now and it would be a whole lot easier!! :cool:

Mine's more than 20 lbs.!!!

Debbie D 04-14-2008 04:34 PM

What kind of meds are you on?

I was on that oral prednisone for 2 wks and gained 9 lbs. I've cut out snacks and eat 4 times per day, small meals, for the most part. And I've lost 13.5 lbs so far. Sometimes I cheat, but I also work out as many days as I can.

Good luck...I know I hate it when I gain weight.:(

sugarboo 04-14-2008 06:48 PM

Great motivational ideas...thanks! This is what I'm starting after thinking about it all day and reading your replies:

1. I ordered a 'Biggest Loser" tape with Jillian
2. Found a work out place that only charges $10 a month :eek: :cool: going to check it out.
3. Saving yougurt for an afternoon snack instead of breakfast and having a protein shake instead. I hate eating breakfast!
4. Change Pepsi to a Diet...splurge once in a while.
5. SMALLER PORTIONS...I'm gulping down huge portions of Carbs.
6. Work now has me on my feet most the day...dose that count as walking?
7. Cut back on the handfuls of nuts...and just a few.
8. Stop the after dinner snacking I've been doing.

My new problem is that the lady I work with eats all day...I mean all day. Whatever she can get her hands on and orders out for lunch...enough for 3 people! She keeps offering me some of whatever she has ( I keep declining)....and then one of the truckers/drivers gave me a blueberry muffin today, and I ate it (slap me!).

I went to this site yesterday and it looks like a great place to track exercise, weight loss and it recommends the right diet for your specific needs...I think I'll try the Biggest Loser diet, which is mostly calorie counting...

http://www.diettv.com/DietTelevision/index.html

I need to stop this gaining before I'm FAT....I've already had to buy new clothes and I HATE THAT! It's like giving in!! :o