NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   How's your sleep habits? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/15397-hows-sleep-habits.html)

dreambeliever128 03-13-2007 11:56 AM

How's your sleep habits?

I don't remember if we have talked about sleep habits or not but I wanted to see if any of you have these problems.

I have gotten my TOS under control. I can pretty much lay anyway I want now after 7 years of surgeries and shots but I cannot sleep at night. I wake up every hour. If it's 1:30 when I wake up first then it's 2:30, 3:30 and so on all night long. This has been going on for ever it seems like. Bill use to ask why they couldn't do anything to help me.

I can't handle sleeping pills don't think I haven't tried. I don't take naps in the day time anymore. I use to be able to sleep 12 hours a night and then take naps in the daytime, 2 and 3 hour ones. I then went to sleeping all of the time from the CFS for over a year I did that and now I have went to not sleeping at all.

I was wondering if any of you are dealing with this. Any ideals on how to sleep at night short of hitting myself over the head with a hammer every night.

Ada

frogga 03-13-2007 12:47 PM

Hey Ada

I can really empathise. Since I developed RSD I haven't slept for more than 3 hours a night - and I'm abit stuffed with sleeping positions - I have to lay flat because of my neck but my back and hips can't stand it.

I try to avoid napping during the day, drinking caffeine or eating just before bed. I also make sure that I activities near me for when I wake up - so my laptop is sorted and on the bed and I am learning to tolerate sleeping with my headset on. My stereo and books are also set up so that at night I can work or read etc. (My bed turns into HQ when I get in, it has cot sides because of the spasms and has electronic door buttons, laptop, book stand + book, pokey stick, call bell, wedges and the lap stuff all attached to it (will try and get a photo of HQ set up!).

Sorry, have no more suggestions really except that I know what you're going through. I probaly do things the opposite way to the pain psychologists would say to, but that's because I need lifting in and out of bed - pain psychs tell you to go up, go to a different room and do an activity, and then when you are tired, go back to bed.

Have you tried amytriptylene at all?

Hope it improves, Love

Frogga xxxxxxxx

Rainbow422 03-13-2007 06:53 PM

I tried the Amitriptyline and it did not work very well for me. I am now on the trazodone and that seems to be helping more, but it does not help me fall to sleep. Once I get there I stay until morning alarm goes off for other med's.

Just another thought. Withoutit I was only getting an hour. WIth the Amit... Only 2 to three at a time.

hugs,

rain :) :hug:

Annick03 03-13-2007 10:45 PM

Thank you Rain for the information. I haven't been sleeping for more than 2 hours a night. I will sure mention these to my DR. when I see him.

Annick:)

dreambeliever128 03-13-2007 10:55 PM

Thanks Girls,

I have tried the Amitriptelene and I couldn't take it. It's been a long time though, I might dig it out and try it again.

I just went off of the Flexeril. It was messing up my stomach even with Prevacid in me.

My Dr. says this sleep problem comes with Fibro but I just thought it would eventually calm down some. It hasn't though in years so I am thinking it never will.

I thank you all for answering me though it does let me know that this is not something that I am dealing with alone. It tells me it goes with the RSD or Fibro. It amazes me that there is nothing that these two problems don't effect with our bodies.

Ada

allentgamer 03-14-2007 03:47 AM

Sleep??

What in the world is that? :confused:

I take only naps lol! Im like annick, getting only 2 hour naps at a time.

It has been sooo long since I have really slept...........well I take that back lol. I will get about 4 to 5 hours every 5 or 6 days. My poor old body just cant take it anymore and just drops out for a bit. But then it is back to the 2 hour routine.

Need to get my insurance back , and find a doctor soon lol.

JOAN_M 03-14-2007 11:02 AM

I had some problems with trazodone and losing bladder control so beware. I think mixing it with neurontin or other meds of that type are what caused it.
As far as sleeping, I have been using tranxene for years. I originally got it for sleep and anxiety but found that it is wonderful for leg spasms at night too. hope this helps someone. joan

Rainbow422 03-14-2007 01:54 PM

Thanks for the information, I will be aware as I get use to it. Thanks a bunch

:hug:

Rain

Imahotep 03-15-2007 08:17 PM

I'm mostly OK if I follow a rigid schedule and take the drugs.

Tizanidine is a must because I have an extremely fine virtually imperceptible tremor which keeps me awake.