NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Big diet changes for me (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/178482-diet-changes.html)

doydie 10-21-2012 11:50 PM

Big diet changes for me

I have had a terrible diet. I get up usually around 11 AM to 1 PM and fix and 12 oz can of diet orange sunkist with about 6 oz of OJ in it. It's in my big insulated mug and with a lot of ice lasts all day. That's al I have until supper at 5 when I EAT. I top that off with my bag of Kettle Corn at bedtime. I need to lose 75 pounds, two chipmunk cheeks and my triglycerides and some blood sugar. So know I have 2 slices of whoe grain toast with peanut butter, a small apple and a glass of OJ when I get up a good granola bar in the afternoon and healthy meal for supper and carrots with dip and raisins at bedtime. I know it's not perfect. I am going to have a consult with a dietician this week. I hope she can give me some nutritional info on the places we go out to eat. I can't find them on their web sites.

Unfortunalty my healthy food i the house is only making my husband eat more. He loves to make his own single servings of peanut butter fudge several times a day and really loads it with sugar and molasses. He eats my cereal by the large bowl ful with heaping soup spoons of sugar. I have shown him what the suggested serving size is. Me trying to loose weight is doing the opposite for him. This is one reason why we eat out 98% of the time. Left overs is not in his vocabulary, he just eats it later that day

So I am really afraid of what to do for Halloween. He loves to be the one to go tot he door, oow and ahh at the kids but when he closes the door grabs at least 2 peices for himself. He doesn't like to give the 'safe' kind of treat, coupons, etc. He has mentioned that Halloween is his regular and favorite Karoake nights. So I am just wanting to close the drapes, not turn on a light and skip it this year.

Kitty 10-22-2012 09:16 AM

Me, too, Doydie. It seems my cholesterol is a bit too high and I won't take the statin drugs so a change in diet will have to happen.

I should be able to do this. I'm the only one I have to fix food for. I certainly hope your DH gets on board with your new nutrition plan. Sounds like he's going out of his way to sabotage your efforts. You might just have to go grocery shopping by yourself for your low-fat, low-sugar "healthy" food. If he refuses to eat it then he can go out by himself. Sounds harsh but you've got a right to a healthy lifestyle.

Maybe we can start a thread of healthy lifestyle tips and recipes. There's got to be more folks here with the need to reduce their weight and the saturated fat in their diet. :)

doydie 10-22-2012 11:04 AM

I do go out and have a supply of healthy snacks in an unused bedroom drawer. I have found out that so far I don't care for the popcorn chips. It's a good deal for calorie vs serving size but so far the only one I like is the sweet and salty and I can't find them that much. I guess it's everyone elses favorite.

Kitty 10-22-2012 11:28 AM

http://www.mommie911.com/2010/05/25/...-and-coloring/

Here's a recipe for homemade kettle corn. You can reduce the sugar and/or salt yourself. I'm going to try it. :)

doydie 10-22-2012 11:58 AM

Thanks Kitty, looks so easy and good

SallyC 10-22-2012 01:01 PM

I don't cook anymore, but mostly eat the healthy, lowfat foods from Schwans...lean chicky and vegies. Even deserts - low fat frozen yogurts.

It's me chocolate chip cookies that are me downfall. I even get the lowfat ones..:eek::rolleyes:

aussiemom 10-22-2012 01:55 PM

Just remember low fat low carb doesn't always equal low cal.

Check out CalorieKing. On line or paper back

ewizabeth 10-22-2012 09:16 PM

I think that weightwatchers has free enrollment online right now if you're interested. I'm in the process of losing weight right now myself so I can relate. :hug:

NurseNancy 10-27-2012 11:35 AM

also remember that carbs turn into sugar. so you need to watch not only sugar grams but carbs too. OY
so after you watch sugar, carbs, salt and fat what else is left to eat???

Kitty 10-27-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseNancy (Post 926419)
OY so after you watch sugar, carbs, salt and fat what else is left to eat???

I know....sometimes it just gets to be too much counting and balancing. I try to eat low fat and in moderation. If I have something that's considered "bad" I try to compensate for the rest of the day to try and balance things out. I think sometimes it can become so consuming that you don't enjoy eating anything anymore. Everything in moderation.