NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Diabetes concern: Unitentional weight loss (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/180169-diabetes-concern-unitentional-weight-loss.html)

januarybabe 11-25-2012 03:24 PM

Diabetes concern: Unitentional weight loss

I have had unintentional weight loss from 108 lbs to 97 lbs. I am 60 inches in height and have a small build so I don't think 97 is dangerously thin. This weight loss occurred over a period of 9 months.

I was wondering if weight loss is a sign of diabetes. I did have fasting blood sugar of 134 in January this year.

My age is 64. My father had diabetes and he had small, thin build.

My next Dr appointment is in February 2013. Should I go in before then?

mrsD 11-25-2012 03:27 PM

Unexplained weight loss comes from diabetes, but also there would be increased urination, and excessive hunger.
134 fasting is a concern. Do you know your A1C level?

Weight loss without intention is usually due to illness.. a hidden cancer is often a culprit.

And then some people just get thinner with age. Seems the thin get thinner and the heavy get bigger! :rolleyes:

januarybabe 11-26-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 934421)
Unexplained weight loss comes from diabetes, but also there would be increased urination, and excessive hunger.
134 fasting is a concern. Do you know your A1C level?

Weight loss without intention is usually due to illness.. a hidden cancer is often a culprit.

And then some people just get thinner with age. Seems the thin get thinner and the heavy get bigger! :rolleyes:

I do get hungry and carry snack size payday candy bars. It seems the fat from peanuts holds me over until I get a regular meal.

No, I don't know AIC level.

I did think of age being a factor. I did think it would be more gradual and not over a period of nine months.

Also, could it be seasonal? I usually lose some weight in summer and fatten up in winter. This last winter was very mild so I may have gotten a head start on it.

mrsD 11-26-2012 06:08 PM

As we age, we do have issues with blood sugar, esp if genetics lean that way.

Lows, which you describe I have too.
Nuts, or good nutritional bars (I use Zone Perfect) can help with snacks. Just don't overdo the snack.

Watch your sugar intake and white carbs like bread etc. They make this worse.

Keep an eye on it all... 134 fasting is not good. But if your A1C is good, then it may just be dawn phenomenon, which is only in the waking part of the day. If the rest of the day goes well, then then A1C will be below 6.5, and hopefully below 6.0.