NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Pulsing in neck (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/196417-pulsing-neck.html)

abegins 10-30-2013 04:37 AM

Pulsing in neck

I can feel and actually hear the throbbing...this can't be good, does anyone else get this? It wakes me up feeling nauseous and a bit dizzy and cloudy like.

20YrsTOS 10-30-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abegins (Post 1025552)
I can feel and actually hear the throbbing...this can't be good, does anyone else get this? It wakes me up feeling nauseous and a bit dizzy and cloudy like.

Yes, those are signs of TOS. I have the nauseous feeling almost every day. The throbbing and the tired Arm feeling is in both if my arms, and throughout my body. All signs of TOS. If u haven't done so, u might want to go see a Vascular Surgeon. A good one. Take care and Ipray for your healing.

God Bless

brmr19 10-30-2013 07:29 AM

Yes, 100% yes. They thought I was crazy at first. My wife was having concerns that I had lost my mind. She even spoke to my mother and family about it. I pursued cause on my own, because doctors had no idea. I found the cause on my own and scheduled an appointment with a vascular doctor who knew TOS, and immediately ordered a dopplar ultrasound which showed all the compression of the subclavian artery which stopped the flow of blood in the vertebral artery. I had surgery eight weeks later.

abegins 10-30-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20YrsTOS (Post 1025564)
Yes, those are signs of TOS. I have the nauseous feeling almost every day. The throbbing and the tired Arm feeling is in both if my arms, and throughout my body. All signs of TOS. If u haven't done so, u might want to go see a Vascular Surgeon. A good one. Take care and Ipray for your healing.

God Bless

Thanks for the reply...what do you do to manage it when it happens?

Does the throbbing tired feeling reach your lower body? I would get it in my leg more than the related disc issues seem to justify, and lately noticed sometimes comes when my upper body is flaring up. Could be a coincidence but walking can be tiring too for me.

abegins 10-30-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brmr19 (Post 1025566)
Yes, 100% yes. They thought I was crazy at first. My wife was having concerns that I had lost my mind. She even spoke to my mother and family about it. I pursued cause on my own, because doctors had no idea. I found the cause on my own and scheduled an appointment with a vascular doctor who knew TOS, and immediately ordered a dopplar ultrasound which showed all the compression of the subclavian artery which stopped the flow of blood in the vertebral artery. I had surgery eight weeks later.

Good for you for figuring it out! How are you doing now? How did you manage the symptoms while awaiting surgery?

cyclist 10-31-2013 08:04 PM

My neck throbs when I take a hot bath and then for about 1 hour after I come out of a hot bath. Only the side of my neck that hurts throughout the day -- throbs. The other side is fine.

Not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing.... I am guessing that it is probably good and that the throbbing is the increased circulation to the tight muscle...??

brmr19 11-01-2013 04:35 PM

I am doing much better since surgery. I still have some nerve issues, but they are manageable. I only had the surgery on my left side and continue daily therapy at home plus some other stuff I do that I put in a recent post. Before the surgery, it got so bad that I always felt like I was going to pass out. I pretty much did nothing at all but lay around on the couch.

Teddyballgame 11-04-2013 12:47 AM

Pulsatile tinnitis, TOS, hypertension

Heard "pulsing" in my head for the past 15 months. Associated it with moving my eyes or gaze laterally and my blood pressure going from normal to 180 plus over 110 plus. Everyone thought I was nuts. Eventually in June, I realized my arm symptoms were related to TOS, and fortunately I pressed to be seen in Boston at MGH. Had a pec minor tenotomy last week. Too early to tell if the surgery will resolve all the symptoms...occipital headaches, TMJ, neck pain, chest pain, upper arm, and hand pain and numbness, and my hypertension, but the best thing is the surgeon told me he wouldn't give up if the tenotomy didn't work. For me, this dedication sets Dr. D and MGH a world apart from every other doc I've seen...commitment to patient. Evidence based medicine.

Eddiemaverick 11-04-2013 07:31 AM

Had you had a first rib resection prior?

Teddyballgame 11-04-2013 10:52 PM

Pulsing in the neck

No, the tenotomy was the first invasive procedure. Where does the pulsing come from and why do we have hypertension with the syndrome?