NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   SCS & Pain Pumps (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/)
-   -   Pain Pump?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/188062-pain-pump.html)

Nanc 05-06-2013 01:22 PM

Pain Pump??

Hi Guys! So I went to my pain doctor on Friday, I have been having increased pain and pain in areas that my two SCS's do not reach. Now he is recommending a pain pump. He explained it to me and gave me material/dvd to look at. I know many of you out there have them, but I am leaning towards no on this one. I feel like it is a little too risky for me. I have so many drug allergies and my luck stinks, I am afraid I would have more problems.

So frustrated!
Nanc

Mark56 05-06-2013 07:02 PM

Omigoodness

Two scs and a pain pump as well????? A lot of hardward, that.

Bobinjeffmo wrote long ago about his pain pump experence. His threads would be a good read for you.

Prayin, Nanc, for you :hug::hug::hug:

Nanc 05-06-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark56 (Post 981223)
Two scs and a pain pump as well????? A lot of hardward, that.

Bobinjeffmo wrote long ago about his pain pump experence. His threads would be a good read for you.

Prayin, Nanc, for you :hug::hug::hug:

Thank you Mark! I will search for those threads....and I appreciate the prayers and hugs :)

Spiney95 05-06-2013 09:56 PM

what a decission

I agree that you are talking about a lot of metal. Do your own research and trust your gut. Lots of hugs and prayers.

Spiney

MDinpain 05-09-2013 01:46 AM

Tough call

I took care of a patient a couple months ago with a pain pump rapidly ramped up to 5mg per day of dilaudid for chronic pancreatitis. She said no help at all. Although there have been some success stories, there is no significant evidence backing their use. If someone has long term relief from oral opiods, but gets side effects maybe worth a try. My off the cuff advice as a non pain doc MD is that it might not be worth the metal?

Nanc 05-09-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDinpain (Post 982017)
I took care of a patient a couple months ago with a pain pump rapidly ramped up to 5mg per day of dilaudid for chronic pancreatitis. She said no help at all. Although there have been some success stories, there is no significant evidence backing their use. If someone has long term relief from oral opiods, but gets side effects maybe worth a try. My off the cuff advice as a non pain doc MD is that it might not be worth the metal?

Thanks for your reply MD! I have trouble with most medications, so many allergies and bad side effects, so I am not getting much relief with oral meds. We have tried everything so he said this was the last resort. I am afraid to do it, but really need to think it through so I am content with my decision.

Thanks again,
Nanc
:hug:

Boomette 05-10-2013 07:30 PM

Five years with my pain pump! Life much better WITH!

I have trigeminal neuralgia AND atypical face pain. After 15 years of trials of medications, three surgeries and a lot of lost quality of life I got a pump. Although I am still having issues, 80% of my pain is under control. I would say ask ONLY people with the pump or have HAD one if you want to get your best answer. People who know someone or say its bad for your body and life...? Well, walk in my shoes for the 15 years before and the 5 after and access the situation. I don't spend much time on the board but I did in my earlier pain years...I was always looking for the best, the newest...there were only three or four people on this board back then but I am happy to see a lot more good information here. I am not as eloquent as I once was but I am almost pain free. Life is good.

Nanc 05-10-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomette (Post 982513)
I have trigeminal neuralgia AND atypical face pain. After 15 years of trials of medications, three surgeries and a lot of lost quality of life I got a pump. Although I am still having issues, 80% of my pain is under control. I would say ask ONLY people with the pump or have HAD one if you want to get your best answer. People who know someone or say its bad for your body and life...? Well, walk in my shoes for the 15 years before and the 5 after and access the situation. I don't spend much time on the board but I did in my earlier pain years...I was always looking for the best, the newest...there were only three or four people on this board back then but I am happy to see a lot more good information here. I am not as eloquent as I once was but I am almost pain free. Life is good.

Thanks Boomette for your reply. I am happy to hear of your success and pain relief :hug:

ginnie 05-10-2013 08:35 PM

Hi Nanc

Even though you are swinging toward a no with the pain pump, I want to tell you about my friend. She did get one, and had some of the hardware you already have. It works for her, and she hasn't had any real issues with it. I guess I just want to impart some hope. Any decision like that is hard. I sure wish you all the best in what ever choices you make. My friend has had this pump going on 8 years now. ginnie:hug:

Nanc 05-10-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginnie (Post 982531)
Even though you are swinging toward a no with the pain pump, I want to tell you about my friend. She did get one, and had some of the hardware you already have. It works for her, and she hasn't had any real issues with it. I guess I just want to impart some hope. Any decision like that is hard. I sure wish you all the best in what ever choices you make. My friend has had this pump going on 8 years now. ginnie:hug:

Thanks ginnie! Does your friend have RSD? I am scared to death to get more hardware implanted and with some of the risks that were explained to me :eek: