NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   DBS activated, WOW! (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/30821-dbs-activated-wow.html)

Jim091866 10-25-2007 04:20 PM

DBS activated, WOW!

Hey out there. Sorry that it has taken me a few days to get back in touch with all of you who may have been wondering how my DBS is going. Well, it's great, GREAT, GREAT! I was activated on Tuesday. I went in to the office using my walker and obviously was "off" so as to truly get the effectiveness of the stimulator. I carried the walker out the car!. People in the waiting room were cheering and clapping when I came out of the room and someone who they had just seen barely getting along with a walker was now walking a fairly normal gait. That was an incredible moment when my doctor asked me to get up and take a few steps! Since then, I have been taking meds just to supplement the stimulator if I feel like I am getting stiff,etc. I was taking Stalevo every 3 hrs. I think I took it 2x yesterday and once so far today. I am sleeping better-not rigid and uncomfortable to where I am constantly trying to find that spot in bed. In addition I am not as fatigued during the day. My face has made a drastic change in that the parkinson's "mask" is mostly gone. Heck, I can get up now and actually get to the bathroom in the morning, not having to use a bedside urinal or wait til that first dose kicks in. All I can say is this is a great blessing and I am very thankful to have this experience. It is beyond words.

jcitron 10-25-2007 04:43 PM

Congratulations on your sucess, Jim! I was one of the people out here waiting to hear how you did with your DBS implant. This is really great news, and I hope you continue to have success with it.

John

DaleD 10-25-2007 05:14 PM

Congratulations

That is a fantastic report Jim.

I had similar results except mine were all squeezed into a week. I had the electrodes implanted on Monday, the stimulators on Thursday am, initial programming Thursday pm, 3.5 hour plane trip home Friday, and back to work on Monday.

Prior to surgery I was taking 35 pills a day and after 6 weeks was down to 6 with two meds completely eliminated.

Again congratulations on your very successful life changing surgery.

Dale

paula_w 10-25-2007 05:31 PM

Bravo!

Jim,

Your courage [ok so it was desperation ....lol] has been rewarded - I'm very happy for you. Enjoy your renewed life.

sincerely,
paula

Stitcher 10-25-2007 09:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Jim, congrats. Attachment 1850Attachment 1851You are one more Hero in a long list of Heros!! Attachment 1853

chasmo 10-26-2007 12:02 AM

this is the story........

.this is the story of the majority of DBS'ers. Although most still take meds.

EnglishCountryDancer 10-26-2007 05:37 AM

Wow

I am so pleased for you.You must feel so elated.