NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Zoloft or Celexa (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/206685-zoloft-celexa.html)

redoslingberg 07-10-2014 06:05 PM

Zoloft or Celexa

Has anyone been on either of these with any success for panic attacks/anxiety caused by their concussion?
I was just given three months approved off time, and while I'm off I'd like to try something for the anxiety. It's gotten to the point where I struggle to leave the house, and I've been putting it off while I'm working because I know they make anxiety worse initially.
I've tried L-theanine, GABA, and various other supplements, but they aren't working, so while I understand some of you are against SSRIs, I have run out of other options and would just like the opinions of those that have tried them. Thank you.

Mark in Idaho 07-10-2014 06:15 PM

I've been taking Celexa since November. It is not a problem. I have taken Paxil in the past.

Did you try L-Tryptophan and L-Theanine together ? I take both plus the Celexa.

anon1028 07-10-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redoslingberg (Post 1081335)
Has anyone been on either of these with any success for panic attacks/anxiety caused by their concussion?
I was just given three months approved off time, and while I'm off I'd like to try something for the anxiety. It's gotten to the point where I struggle to leave the house, and I've been putting it off while I'm working because I know they make anxiety worse initially.
I've tried L-theanine, GABA, and various other supplements, but they aren't working, so while I understand some of you are against SSRIs, I have run out of other options and would just like the opinions of those that have tried them. Thank you.

ia have had luck with Cymbalta an snri helped wth the dizziness and depression to some extent

Hockey 07-10-2014 08:13 PM

Are you also getting any talk therapy? A two pronged approach might be more efficacious than drugs alone.

abcnews.go.com/.../talk-therapy-boosts-response-antidepressants/.

Survey: Talk Therapy as Good as Antidepressants
www.webmd.com › … › Depression Health Center › Depression News

2010-06-01 · June 1, 2010 -- Antidepressants are commonly prescribed for treating both anxiety and depression, but talk therapy appears to work just as well as the ...

lyndianne 07-10-2014 08:51 PM

I begrudgingly started taking a small dose of zoloft quite a while after my initial brain injury.

It made a huge difference for me and I wish I hadn't been so stubborn about it! I still take it

15 years and 3 concussions later. There was some initial fatigue with it. It helps my brain to calm down :-)

Mark in Idaho 07-10-2014 11:34 PM

lyndianne,

Have you ever considered weaning of the Zoloft ? I was on Paxil for 14 years and weaned off it last Feb. I replaced it with L-Tryptophan and later added L-Theanine. I did great until I experienced a severe stress event. I started Celexa to deal with anxiety from PTSD but hope to wean off it soon.

lyndianne 07-13-2014 02:08 AM

Mark,
I have been starting to take L-theanine and take L-tryptophan. I actually started my reactive dog on the L-theanine and there has been a big change for the better :-) Thanks for the input.