NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   6 Months — Why Relapse Now? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/181473-6-months-relapse.html)

Toddwriter 12-24-2012 11:16 AM

6 Months — Why Relapse Now?

It's been six months since my brain injury. Thought I was making real progress on the cognition side — then boom. Migraines. Need to sleep long stretches. Light sensitivity. Irritability. Now trouble reading simple paragraphs.

Would most appreciate any contact or feedback. Trying my best not to feel discouraged — especially on Christmas eve.

Thank you.

cyclecrash 12-24-2012 01:41 PM

I am just about at 6 months myself and haven't recovered enough to have a relapse, but my guess is that it's the stress of the holidays getting to you.

Try and get some resting in today and be kind to yourself. Nothing needs to be perfect! Hopefully once the stress of the holidays are over you will bounce right back to where you were.

Tonight is my big holiday challenge so today I'm trying to rest rest rest. I hope you feel better and enjoy the holidays for the peaceful family time they should be!!

CC

Mark in Idaho 12-24-2012 04:40 PM

Toddwriter,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

As cycle said, the stress/excitement/activities of Christmas may be the cause of your relapse. A simple time of excitement could have sent your blood pressure to a level your brain was not ready for. Quiet rest should help you resolve this.

If this does not resolve over a few days, I suggest you get checked out, hopefully by a neurologist.

This is also a possible indicator of a need to moderate your lifestyle.

Did you by chance attend a party where you consumed alcohol? It can cause a relapse.

Until you understand this better, try to get plenty of quiet rest with a low stress Christmas. Hope you feel better.

My best to you.

SillyRugger 12-24-2012 07:01 PM

Todd—

Hopefully it's just the stress of the holidays! The same thing is happening to me right now. I was doing much better then BAM my headaches came back.

Toddwriter 12-28-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclecrash (Post 942019)
I am just about at 6 months myself and haven't recovered enough to have a relapse, but my guess is that it's the stress of the holidays getting to you.

Try and get some resting in today and be kind to yourself. Nothing needs to be perfect! Hopefully once the stress of the holidays are over you will bounce right back to where you were.

Tonight is my big holiday challenge so today I'm trying to rest rest rest. I hope you feel better and enjoy the holidays for the peaceful family time they should be!!

CC

thank you... Christmas was just way more activity, list tracking, store shopping, than I could handle. I didn't see the wall coming until I hit it hard. Appreciate your encouragement.

Toddwriter 12-28-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 942055)
Toddwriter,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

As cycle said, the stress/excitement/activities of Christmas may be the cause of your relapse. A simple time of excitement could have sent your blood pressure to a level your brain was not ready for. Quiet rest should help you resolve this.

If this does not resolve over a few days, I suggest you get checked out, hopefully by a neurologist.

This is also a possible indicator of a need to moderate your lifestyle.

Did you by chance attend a party where you consumed alcohol? It can cause a relapse.

Until you understand this better, try to get plenty of quiet rest with a low stress Christmas. Hope you feel better.

My best to you.

thank you... Christmas was just way more activity, list tracking, store shopping, than I could handle. I didn't see the wall coming until I hit it hard. Appreciate your encouragement.

Toddwriter 12-28-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StupidRugger (Post 942064)
Todd—

Hopefully it's just the stress of the holidays! The same thing is happening to me right now. I was doing much better then BAM my headaches came back.

sospan 12-28-2012 03:26 PM

Many people on the board have (and still do) experienced setbacks in their recovery. The key thing is to identify what caused the set back and watch out for it in the future.

A relapse doesn't always put you back to square 1 - just a minor bump in the road that you will soon recover from after some rest.

All the best

Kristara 01-03-2013 01:11 AM

Yea expect these relapses throughout your "recovery" (i quote because i don't think you ever recover honestly, i think we just go thru cycles of progress and set backs and learn to cope with our issues better) im 7yrs in and i still have major landslides at times, stress can def. trigger but sometimes it just seems to come about for no reason too