NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Remember your first MRI of the brain? I just finished mine : ) (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/170645-remember-mri-brain-finished-mine.html)

restorativepose 05-30-2012 02:39 PM

Remember your first MRI of the brain? I just finished mine : )

I had to share, having only posted here in this forum recently last week for the first time.

I am un-DX'd, seeing a neurologist who is considering either MS or myasthenia gravis.

I just had my very first MRI of the brain and thoracic spine. It was 1 hour and 45 minutes long (whoa). I'd been prepared to take xanax if I needed it, but felt calm enough ahead of time that I didn't feel like I needed it.

And I did it, without the med. I am so happy. Now I will be 'with it' enough to play with my two little boys tonight (ages 3 and 6).

Thx for letting me share : )

NurseNancy 05-30-2012 04:28 PM

i hope you get the answers you need.
that amt of time in the machine is hard but you came thru it. good for you.

SallyC 05-30-2012 08:38 PM

YEAaaaaaaaaaaa for RP..:hug:

Let us know how it turns out.:)

Dejibo 05-31-2012 07:35 AM

I was terrified at mine. it was 2 and a half hours, and DH was sitting in the waiting room biting his finger nails off. I am extremely claustrophobic and cried the whole time. They kept telling me to breathe, calm down, and sit still. if I could, I would!

Im glad you are seeking answers. :hug:

TXBatman 05-31-2012 02:27 PM

Congrats on making it through without the meds. I slept through about half of my first one. Now when I have them, if I can't sleep, I lay there and make up music rhythms to go with the sounds the machine is making.

Erika 05-31-2012 03:05 PM

With the 5 MRIs so far, I haven't been stressed by the proceedure. During the first one, I learned that I must remain as alert as possible because if I doze off, the body goes into jerks and spasms which mess everything up. That only makes the whole process take longer.
To stay awake, I go through visualizations that the magnets are somehow clearing the inflammation and halting the progression...that way the sound effects are supportive rather than distracting.

restorativepose 05-31-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBatman (Post 884833)
Congrats on making it through without the meds. I slept through about half of my first one. Now when I have them, if I can't sleep, I lay there and make up music rhythms to go with the sounds the machine is making.

TXBatman- Your reply made me chuckle because I ended up getting so bored in that machine that all that banging made me think of a bunch of robots doing some kind of super fantastic techno dance! Funny :Head-Spin:

TXBatman 06-01-2012 02:06 PM

Funny that you say that...If you have Itunes, get Daft Punk's Alive 2007 live version of Around the World. Near the end of the song there is a little section that I would almost swear is a sample taken from inside an MRI machine.

doydie 06-01-2012 02:36 PM

I envision myself inside a video game. It can get quite interesting

new2net98 06-02-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBatman (Post 884833)

Wow, I do this too...the last one was so long (I was moving-so they told me), that I was trying to arrange it to the "Night on Bald Mountain" music. It works...except for that last, really loud !PINNGG! :p