NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Eletrical type pain/ feeling??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/13589-eletrical-type-pain-feeling.html)

InHisHands 02-16-2007 11:47 AM

Eletrical type pain/ feeling???

I experience this eletrical feeling when I shiver or yawn, at times. It will run down (or up) my legs/ arms. Anyone else? I also have described it as a static type feeling.

I described this to my physical therapist, but he didn't seem to know (not a big suprise, but he thought is was strange).

artist 02-16-2007 12:07 PM

Hi Vanessa,

Yes, I get lots of electrical zaps, the worst is a buzzing, exactly like a joke electrical shocker thingy, right where the brachial plexus is, left side (RSD side). Can come on when I lift my arm up, or sneeze. Usually the zaps are like the "funny bone" in your elbow, except not in the elbow - really takes me by surprise every time.

But the weirdest, and I've only had this maybe half a dozen times in the 3 years I've had RSD, is the feeling of water trickling down my skin. It is so exactly like it, I have to look up at the ceiling to make sure something hasn't leaked on me.....very strange! First time it happened I simply couldn't believe my mind could play such tricks....go figure!

all the best!

InHisHands 02-16-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artist (Post 71166)
But the weirdest, and I've only had this maybe half a dozen times in the 3 years I've had RSD, is the feeling of water trickling down my skin. It is so exactly like it, I have to look up at the ceiling to make sure something hasn't leaked on me.....very strange! First time it happened I simply couldn't believe my mind could play such tricks....go figure!

I had that one time, and I'll tell you... it was wierd!! I was wondering what was pouring down my arm, and it really wasn't anything! :yikes:

InHisHands 02-16-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artist (Post 71166)
Hi Vanessa,

Yes, I get lots of electrical zaps, the worst is a buzzing, exactly like a joke electrical shocker thingy, right where the brachial plexus is, left side (RSD side). Can come on when I lift my arm up, or sneeze. Usually the zaps are like the "funny bone" in your elbow, except not in the elbow - really takes me by surprise every time.

OK, so I am not the only one... since it comes on to you if you just sneeze... that is what I was saying- if I just yawn or shiver this happens to me.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Artist. :hug:

frogga 02-16-2007 03:42 PM

me too. it sucks.

rxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fmichael 02-16-2007 04:14 PM

Dear IHH -

I know that you are - perhaps with good reason - cautious when it comes to adding new drugs.

That said, I have to go on and tell you that the best thing that I found for stabbing electrical pains was a benzodiazepine called Xanax. I take 0.5 mg. 4 times a day, and while it is normally prescribed for anxiety and is in the same chemical family as Valium, it has given me no psychotropic effect of which I am aware. But it has really helped with the electrical pain.

Good luck.

Mike

InHisHands 02-16-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmichael (Post 71245)
Dear IHH -

I know that you are - perhaps with good reason - cautious when it comes to adding new drugs.

That said, I have to go on and tell you that the best thing that I found for stabbing electrical pains was a benzodiazepine called Xanax. I take 0.5 mg. 4 times a day, and while it is normally prescribed for anxiety and is in the same chemical family as Valium, it has given me no psychotropic effect of which I am aware. But it has really helped with the electrical pain.

Good luck.

Mike

Thank you. I will mention that I am dealing with this pain to my Dr., when I see her next and I'll see what she thinks about it.

I am cautious with the medications, but I am not ruling out taking another... I am willing to try different things in order to "get better" or more comfortable. I am listening to my Dr. on the medications, and I don't suggest to her what to prescribe me, KWIM? :Dunno:

fmichael 02-16-2007 09:39 PM

Personally, I don't see the harm in asking about a specific medication, if only under the heading of "someone on this RSD forum suggested that I ask about . . . ." Otherwise, you don't really know if your doctor considered it or was thinking about something else when you mentioned it. But that's just my style, I guess.

buckwheat 02-16-2007 10:36 PM

Hi, In His Hands,

I used to get electrial type pain, it went away. The only med. I take is Valium at night only today. Which is a miracle.

I have not had Ketamine but just about everything else. I used to have to take so many meds. it was just unbelivable.

I wish I knew what helped get the zaps. gone exactly. So I could really help.

I still get the rain drop feelings, like Artist described. but they are a bit less as well. Keep the Faith. Hugs, Roz

artist 02-16-2007 10:57 PM

Hi, not really raindrops, Roz (although as well sometimes it can be like fine rain) - but this is different, it's like someone standing beside me, close, is slowly tipping a whole glass of water down my arm. Exactly like that. ------> TOOTOOTOOTOO (twilight zone music)
all the best!