NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Yuck! New Relapse (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/39226-yuck-relapse.html)

kinch52 02-16-2008 07:00 PM

Yuck! New Relapse

I've known a relapse has been coming for the last several weeks. But...since I love denial, I've been putting off doing anything. :rolleyes:

I have MS & Systemic Sarcoidosis. My MS stays pretty steady until the Sarc starts acting up, then the MS symptoms flare like crazy. It's finally bad enough (cog problems, loss of use on the right side, eye problems, blah, blah blah) & my daughter has nagged me enough, that I started Prednisone today. The good news with the Sarc is I don't need the IVSM, just Prednisone, to get me back in my feet. The bad news is that I think Prednisone is going to kill me! *dramatized for effect*

I've started having really bad side effects from the steroids. Called my PCP yesterday because we had talked about preventing the side effects before they happened. Well, she said, call me with your blood sugar numbers & other problems next week & we will be able to help. I tried to tell her that the effects are immediate but of course, she said it took a couple of days.

So, here I sit after starting the Prednisone this morning with my blood sugar already over 300, having breathing problems & sweating like a pro wrestler. It's so cold in my house, my dog's teeth are chattering & I'm still soaked! :Sinking:

I've already taken 2 metformin (for diabetes control), am drinking lots of water & being really strict with what I eat. Does anybody have any other ideas? HELP!

MSacorn 02-16-2008 07:11 PM

Hi Michelle
I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy. I find with the 'roids, I'm extremely warm/hot and I'm usually a freeze baby. Maybe a cool shower would help.

As to your blood sugar, I ask my Dad who has diabetes. He says you're doing the right thing, keep a close eye on it and to call your doctor. If it gets up to the 500 range then it's getting to serious territory.

I'm not sure I was much help, but just want you to know you are not alone.

:hug:

kinch52 02-16-2008 07:27 PM

Lots of help, Beth! Thank you so much for asking your Dad. I feel better, at least now, I know I'm not in trouble until I get a higher number. I can live with being uncomfortable.

Really....I'm not as anxious as I was since I know I'm not dieing. ;) I'll just put a blanket on my dog & hang in there a few more days.

:Thanx:

NurseNancy 02-16-2008 07:40 PM

i was going to say go to the ER.
i really don't know how high your BS would have to be to be concerning.
to me 300 is pretty high.

especially keep tabs on your mood too.

your pcp doesn't sound concerned enuf about your SE's.
if you say, and can document, that you're having them...who is she to say it should take 48 hrs????

are you sure you want to keep this dr? that really makes me mad for you.
how about trying to call your neuro?

hope you're ok over the wk/e. please let us know.

MSacorn 02-16-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinch52 (Post 217300)
Lots of help, Beth! Thank you so much for asking your Dad. I feel better, at least now, I know I'm not in trouble until I get a higher number. I can live with being uncomfortable.

Really....I'm not as anxious as I was since I know I'm not dieing. ;) I'll just put a blanket on my dog & hang in there a few more days.

:Thanx:

You are welcome. After replying to you, Dad suggested to check your local phone book. Most big hospitals have a number for a nurse to call (ex: Ask A Nurse) with health concerns.

I thought 300 was high. Also, be on the alert for increased thirst and more cog fog type sx. Everyone is different, if you aren't sure head to the ER.

Take care.

AfterMyNap 02-16-2008 08:36 PM

Sorry to learn this, Michelle. :( Any chance of sleeping through it? I sure hope you'll feel better soon and I agree with the others, please don't put off calling the doc if you feel you might need to. Keep us posted, okay?

SallyC 02-16-2008 08:46 PM

I'm so sorry, Michelle. :( I don't think I like your Doc.:mad:

If things get bad for you, please go to the ER.

I hope you feel better soon..:hug:

Jan4you 02-16-2008 09:37 PM

WOW Michelle, so sorry.

I thought 300 was high and dangerous. Is there an on call person to ask?
Urgent care? ER??

Hope you improve and soon !! My buddy

Warmly Jan

Gazelle 02-16-2008 10:01 PM

Michelle,

Good grief, if I had half a brain I wouldn't ask about updates when someone does them less than 3 hours earlier.

I need to go to bed.

Hope you're feeling better, girlie.

ewizabeth 02-16-2008 10:28 PM

Hi Michelle,

Sorry you're having to go through this! :( At first, I thought you wrote that your blood pressure was over 300. :eek: I was going to type all caps for you to call 9-1-1 immediately! :o

Anyway, when on steroids, my blood pressure and my blood sugar go sky high. They had to give me insulin shots the last time while I was in the hospital for infusions, then my eyes were fuzzy for a few weeks following, I'm assuming from the blood sugar.

What I did was avoid all sugar and most starches. That controlled it pretty well during the prednisone taper. I really sympathize with you, I can't stand steroids.

As the others have said, call the doctor if you start feeling bad. :hug: