NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Compounding cream (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/202698-compounding-cream.html)

beatle 03-28-2014 05:59 PM

Compounding cream

I got a jar of cream from a compounding pharmacy that contains Ketamine, Gabapentin, Baclofen, Amitriptyline, Tetracaine.

Is this going to do anything or does it just sound good?

IH8PN 03-28-2014 06:05 PM

Sounds awesome, let us know how it goes! Nortiptyline and Gapapentin are doing nothing for me so far. Maybe a little, but I have so many types of pain and I'm 7/10 pain whenever I'm on my feet. I think I need a multi medication approach to get relief and I'm on the look out for ideas.

I'd be happy with 4/10 pain at the moment. Anything to allow me to physically function.

mrsD 03-28-2014 07:05 PM

Some people find the compounding creams very effective.

The ingredients vary, however, so success depends on the particular choice of ingredients for each person.

beatle 03-28-2014 11:10 PM

Well I've tried it once so far and it did help but it is too soon to know for sure since my PN waxes and wanes.

IH8, you should try the Salonpas Deep Relieving Gel. It is strong and really helps for pain. You could also check out a place that does Rebuilder treatments to see if that does anything for you. I have one, I use every day. On the flip side, there is nothing that helps with the numbness. :(

I'll keep you updated on the compounding cream.

Synnove 03-29-2014 11:23 AM

hi Beatle
I got a compound cream prescribed for me from my rheumatologist. But the one I have has only Gabapentin, Ketamine and Lidocaine in it. I have used it for months, and I use it for break through pain in the afternoon and at night. I only use a little bit on my feet and on my wrists. It has been very effective for me.

Jon_sparky 03-30-2014 05:31 PM

I have used the Keto cream containing ketoprophen, cyclobenzaprine, and lidocaine. I found it is only for topical pain, and was very expensive from the compound pharmacy.

beatle 04-05-2014 05:51 PM

Reporting back...

The compounding cream helps with the sting, topically anyway like Jon indicated. And it's expensive ($100/4oz) but worth keeping in arsenal for really bad days.

IH8PN 04-06-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatle (Post 1061668)
Reporting back...

The compounding cream helps with the sting, topically anyway like Jon indicated. And it's expensive ($100/4oz) but worth keeping in arsenal for really bad days.

$100 for 4oz? :eek:

Is that an medical insurance adjusted price or just the base price?

beatle 04-06-2014 08:08 PM

That's the retail price. I doubt insurance covers it, I'll let you know if I find out differently. I have had one bad experience after another with United Healthcare even covering Lyrica. They seem almost unfamiliar with PN in general.

I digress. The compounding cream is really expensive which is why I'll use it sparingly, reserved for "special occasions".

ginnie 04-06-2014 08:23 PM

Hi Beatle

I use a compound very similar, and yes it does help. I have PN, and have been using it for a year. Give it a bit of time, and it should ease the symptoms. It doesn't take it all away, but for me, it made it more bearable. ginnie:grouphug: