NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   SEEKING ADVICE: Alternative Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/193036-seeking-advice-alternative-treatments.html)

PCSinIsrael 08-20-2013 08:55 AM

SEEKING ADVICE: Alternative Treatments

What alternative / complementary treatments do you recommend?

My son-in-law suffered a concussion after falling off his bicycle 9 months ago. There has been slow improvement but he is unable to return to school or work.

He has fuzzy head most of the time, can not be in noisy surroundings or with many people, is tired, can no longer sing or play an instrument, sleeps alot but has trouble sleeping at night, can't exercise, nor take buses, is tired after walking a few blocks, etc. We have seen some minor improvement, but....

The neurologist says that it may just take time and more time.

What can we do to nurture the process?

He has tried cranio-sacral therapy, seen an oesteopath, increased his vitamins. We are considering hyperbaric oxygen therapy.

Please, any guidance, you can give will be much appreciated.

berkeleybrain 08-20-2013 04:29 PM

I'm so sorry for your son's injury. It must be frightening to watch his change. He will get better. It just does take time.

One thing I found helpful is acupuncture. Look at the vitamin thread on top of this bulletin board--fish oil has been helpful.

Rest-no reading, computer, etc., is vital. The brain will need time to rebuild and to strengthen.

Be well!

PCSinIsrael 08-20-2013 04:40 PM

vision therapy? Prism glasses?

How did you know you needed vision thereapy?
Why prism glasses?

todayistomorrow 08-20-2013 05:10 PM

I can relate to the fuzzy(foggy) head. I suffered for a year before I figured out my vision was a large part of the problem. Many people who have major concussions also have convergence insufficiency. You can have 20/20 vision and still have this. Try to find a Dr. that can diagnose this and prescribe prism/tinted glasses(there aren't that many).

berkeleybrain 08-20-2013 07:52 PM

I was prescribed prism glasses when I was diagnosed with accommodation and convergence insufficiency (ie my eyes don't work together in binocular function).

The symptoms, for me: hard to read any email, short passages, or watch tv. I felt my eyes going cross eyed; the lines seemed to jump and when I drive the signs are blurry and jumpty. I have 20/20 vision, it is just not clear.

4 months after the accident, I couldn't track a moving pen without vomiting during a doctor visit prompted a visit with neuro-opthalmologist.

poetrymom 08-20-2013 08:16 PM

acupunture!

Acupuncture definately helped me. I don't know how or why, but it helped my skull pain and tinnitis too.

It may not work for everyone, but if you can find someone in your area that does the community works model, it is worth it to give that a try. With community works, they don't bill insurance and you can pay what you can.

take care

pm

milanchz 08-20-2013 09:09 PM

I would give homeopathy a try. It significantly improved me. I use a homeopath named Dana Ullman. You can research him online and find all his contact info there. He does over the phone consultations. There are other homeopaths that im sure a quite well versed in concussions and could just as effectively help out your son in law. He was able to significantly improve my symptoms and I am pretty much completely healed after his remedy and time. Dont worry, he will heal I promise it just takes time like everyone says. Make sure he lays off the alcohol and drugs (tobacco) those will slow down healing.

mouse1 08-21-2013 09:53 AM

Reflexology was a great help to me.