NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Burning Feet???? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/51333-burning-feet.html)

MommaD 08-03-2008 12:26 PM

Burning Feet????

Has anyone had any trouble with their feet burning? I feel like I have walked on hot coals, no relief.............

tovaxin_lab_rat 08-03-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaD (Post 338177)
Has anyone had any trouble with their feet burning? I feel like I have walked on hot coals, no relief.............

Yes...it's call neuropathic pain!

Have you tried neurontin or lyrica?

SallyC 08-03-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8rgirl (Post 338182)
Yes...it's call neuropathic pain!

Have you tried neurontin or lyrica?

Or, soak them in cool water..:) Works for me.

tovaxin_lab_rat 08-03-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 338190)
Or, soak them in cool water..:) Works for me.

Sometimes...

I have it all the time and an increase means the beginning of an exacerbation. None of the drugs have helped so I deal with it as best I can.

I hope you find some relief MommaD.

sheena 08-03-2008 01:12 PM

I've had it for 2 mos (everyday-every second). Last mo the burn was in both feet - after I had my TY it went to just the left foot for this mo.

lady_express_44 08-03-2008 01:15 PM

That symptom means that I have an infection going on, and/or it comes with other new/worsening symptoms from a new relapse. It's not something I permanently contend with though.

Have you been checked for a UTI ... tooth infection ... etc?

Cherie

freeinhou 08-03-2008 01:52 PM

Yeah - they call it peripheral neuropathy. I've had it a while. The last neuro I saw blamed it on alcohol (beer).

Tom

sheena 08-03-2008 03:15 PM

If it is due to infection then my cause is clear as I am under meds due to COPD about 20 out of 30 days in a mo. I don't drink and have had recent checks on teeth and urine.

However, I had a nerve test in my arms last week and was told I had a nerve problem and B12.... are being cked again.

Gazelle 08-03-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeinhou (Post 338267)
Yeah - they call it peripheral neuropathy. I've had it a while. The last neuro I saw blamed it on alcohol (beer).

Tom

Well, Tom, that just plain ole is WRONG! I've had a bunch of beer and it's never made my feet burn, just my head ache if I have had too much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheena (Post 338334)
However, I had a nerve test in my arms last week and was told I had a nerve problem and B12.... are being cked again.

Hope they figure out what it is, Sheena. I remember when I had the burning all over my body. That sucked.

They'll have to rule out medical conditions that could cause it if it is peripheral neuropathy. Plus, you might have to have an EMG, nerve conduction velocity test, and/or a nerve biopsy to see if it really IS peripheral neuropathy.

Some medications can help, as FG indicated above--neurontin is one. Sometimes a low dose (non-therapeutic level) antidepressant can help take the pain away. It's a matter of figuring out what works!

Good luck!

MommaD 08-03-2008 06:29 PM

Thanks everyone!

I had gone to Neuro 2 wks ago, I'm in a flare, but feet didn't start burning until Thursday and leg spasms have really gotten worse.

However, I did have a tooth extracted several weeks ago, but this was after I had been to Neuro. In fact going Tues for root canal (teeth have really gotten worse).

I do take Neurontin, have been for 7 yrs., have increased dosage on that as of Friday.

Is anyone as tired as the sx's as I am, lol