NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   This week in PD Land (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/184728-week-pd-land.html)

reverett123 02-28-2013 10:49 PM

This week in PD Land

This group once had a regular weekly thread where those who were so inclined could touch base with the community on all levels, both personal and pro. It did several things including allowing people a chance to get to know one another in a natural manner.

So, I thought that given the fact that these "newcomers" show no signs of being easily frightened and that some of them are nice folks, I thought to make a try at resurrecting it. If it falls on its face, that won't be the first time one of my ideas tanked up in front of the whole blamed class.....:D

For my part, I continue to explore the Universe in search of the Grail that will save us all. Failing that, I may settle for a *good* gluten-free pizza crust. Time will tell.

I have found something of interest, however. One of my recurring problems has been that everytime that I find something really neat my darned blood pressure starts climbing toward the stars and I have to abandon it and move on. Well, I have found that turmeric, at least thus far, does a dandy job of stabilizing that pressure. Note that we are talking serious numbers here where the books say "get thee to a hospital". But with the turmeric I have seen a drop from about 200/120 down to 135/95 or less,

I am seeing effects on the PD as well. It is hard to describe but it is as though I am feeling less urgency about my meds and their schedule. A measure of that is that ysterday, for the first time in thirteen years I left the house without a single tab with me! It was accidental but my sub-concious knew it was happening. So that is pretty cool.

I am also experimenting with ginger in a similar manner and find that the two work well together. I am trying to keep the dosage down as well.

Out in the real world the madmen continue to defy the gods and threaten destruction, but I guess that you have noticed that. Which brings me to an irregular feature - the song of the week:

Steve Earle - Jerusalem
And a good night to you boys and girls. :)

moondaughter 03-01-2013 01:16 AM

I like " the song of the week" .........thanks!

"I am seeing effects on the PD as well. It is hard to describe but it is as though I am feeling less urgency about my meds and their schedule. A measure of that is that ysterday, for the first time in thirteen years I left the house without a single tab with me! It was accidental but my sub-concious knew it was happening. So that is pretty cool

Out in the real world the madmen continue to defy the gods and threaten destruction, but I guess that you have noticed that. Which brings me to an irregular feature - the song of the week:

Steve Earle - Jerusalem
And a good night to you boys and girls. :)[/QUOTE]"

Rick you are ever the gracious one. Perhaps forgetting your meds your focus is changing from sickness to wellness.

I am hoping my usual Springg improvement happens this year - Tonight I discovered on my afternoon walk that when my foot starts to drop iif i just slow down annd breathe with the steps my foot behaves -reminds me of something my kids' swim coach said that if you want to go fast first you must go slow.....also for fabulous posture I bought a pair of "Masai Barefoot Technology" shoes and wow nno wonder those guys can run - i usually am barefoot and only wear these for short periods of time on occassion tho - thats my weekly report...:)

I'm betting tumeric becomes a mainstay in your regimen!! Have you been taking it long?

heres one for you.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7BSSDmVcQs

vlhperry 03-01-2013 11:06 AM

Hello all

Minnesota is beginning to warm more than drop degrees so I hope you others are doing the same. Warmer days brings longer sunlight which wakes us up more and helps those with depression.

I am taking ballroom dancing to improve my posture. I get to meet new people every week. I am beginning to find it harder to keep up my practice of music. I am aware of it but some days know I should practice but am having a harder time motivating myself to do it.

I have gone from 125lbs to 230lbs. in the last 3 years. Metabolism slowing down with age. Some days I don't eat very much some days. Other days its' all I do.

Dianna

Brain patch 03-01-2013 11:22 AM

Song of the week

I have a good song of the week. I don't know how to post a link to it but go to u-tube and look up Rodney Atkins IF YOUR GOING THROUGH HELL. I think you guys will like this one. How do you eat the turmeric? I need to get my dad to try this. He has Parkinson's with dementia. Hope you all are having a good day! Spring is in the air! :):)
Much love to you all,
Brain

pacempassim 03-01-2013 11:55 AM

Isradipne helps bpth blood pressure and Parkinsons, I'm told, significantly. One of my doctors is overjoyed at being able to prescribe one medicine for both.

Bob Dawson 03-01-2013 04:12 PM

song Uashat - a kua tuta

Akua Tuta

http://youtu.be/E8I-Hy2vC8Y

in Innu-aimun, spoken by only 10,000 people
from Rez at Mani-Utenam where my first son was born
quebec north shore

Be careful what you do with the thing that has been given to you

Be careful what you do... the way you were raised

Be careful what you do with the thing you protect

Be careful what you do with the thing which has helped you

Take care of our land

Be careful what you do - the way you were raised

Take care of our grandfathers

Take care of our grandmothers too

Take care of your children and your brother and sisters

Aunt Bean 03-01-2013 10:02 PM

You can add tumeric to foods as a spice and take it in a capsule form. I take a capsule every morning with breakfast, my friend takes one am & pm. Helps alot!!

Muireann 03-02-2013 07:45 AM

A word of caution about turmeric - source it carefully. I recently visited Pakistan where a scandal had broken about a substance being distributed as turmeric that was in fact powdered concrete dyed yellow.

Bob Dawson 03-03-2013 06:13 PM

One more song to stop feeling sorry for myself

Street musicians of the world, unite!
You can play music around the world, together, with the equivalent of a conference call. Technology once again changing the game.
Stand by me: http://youtu.be/Us-TVg40ExM

Bob Dawson 03-05-2013 09:07 AM

Johnny Cash, beloved Parkie, sings "Hurt"

Singer Johnny Cash has Parkinson's disease
October 27, 1997
NEW YORK (CNN) - Country singer Johnny Cash announced Monday that he has developed Parkinson's disease…
Cash, long known as country music's "Man in Black," feels confident that once the Parkinson's is medically stabilized, he can resume his normal work schedule… Cash played some 200 concerts a year. …
September 12, 2003
Cash died of complications from diabetes on September 12, 2003 — It was suggested that Johnny's health worsened due to a broken heart over the death of his wife.

In this song, shortly before he died, he talks about “hurt”, and he knows what that word means, and he reminds you in song that you have been there too.

The last recording of a much-loved Parkie. Hurt:

http://youtu.be/SmVAWKfJ4Go