NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Does anyone else get the shivers? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/217852-else-shivers.html)

Tunaboy 03-23-2015 09:27 PM

Does anyone else get the shivers?

I thought it was just because it is winter, but I notice myself shivering uncontrollably at times. At work after walking the hallway, i'll feel cold even though it's room temperature. When I go outside though sometimes my teeth chatter and today I could barely text because I was shivering so much. It's about 30 degrees out, not that bad in my opinion.

mrsD 03-24-2015 01:35 AM

I suspect this reflects an infection somewhere.
Take your temperature for a few days.

Spells of low blood sugar may do this also.
I get the shivers when I have a severe GI spasm.

Diverticulosis,
Prostatitis,
Sinus infections
Gall bladder infections
Hepatitis
Chronic appendicitis
bacterial endocarditis
and many others....

All can simmer in a low grade way.

Do you get the shivers around 4pm or
4am? Chronic issues flare when cortisol
Is low.

Cold intolerance comes with low thyroid but
I never had shivers with mine .. Just a
Deep bone cold pain.

I'd discuss this with your doctor. Shivers are a serious symptom of something wrong in your body.
After using antibiotics it is possible to develop what is called a nosocomial infection. This occurs when the antibiotic kills off many germs (broad spectrum types are most common) and the remaining few pathogens not susceptible grow in abundance and create a new infectious problem.

Neuroproblem 03-24-2015 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunaboy (Post 1131379)
I thought it was just because it is winter, but I notice myself shivering uncontrollably at times. At work after walking the hallway, i'll feel cold even though it's room temperature. When I go outside though sometimes my teeth chatter and today I could barely text because I was shivering so much. It's about 30 degrees out, not that bad in my opinion.

when my unknown neuropathy started more than 2 months ago, i had chills and shivering, more like tensing up to cold, but there was no cold infection, nor was it cold. i had that shivering uncontrollably. i believe mines is neurological.
do you mean at 30 degree celcius? or farenheit?

SFN Warrior 03-24-2015 09:24 AM

Sure do...

I have had episodes of severe shivering (rigors) randomly when I catch a chill. These type of shivers are intense, full body, and leave me sore and cramped afterwards. The only way I have found to stop them quickly is to cover up with a lot of blankets and get warm fast. Because of this, I have altered my way of getting dressed in the cold months so I can limit the amount of exposed skin at one time. For example, I will change my pants first while leaving my shirt/top on, then after my pants are on I will then change my shirt. I cannot undress completely unless I am jumping right in the shower. Essentially, I have learned to cope with the possibility of having these episodes and thus limited the situations where they can occur.

Regards,
SFN Warrior

madisongrrl 03-24-2015 11:12 AM

Prior to the onset of my symptoms, I would have a terrible case of the chills all the time. Even with a fire in the fireplace! I also got blue finger tips as well when exposed to the cold.

Kitt 03-24-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madisongrrl (Post 1131483)
Prior to the onset of my symptoms, I would have a terrible case of the chills all the time. Even with a fire in the fireplace! I also got blue finger tips as well when exposed to the cold.

What have you been diagnosed with if you don't mind posting it. Perhaps you have before and I did not see it. Blue finger tips when exposed to the cold makes me wonder. Thank you.

madisongrrl 03-24-2015 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 1131518)
What have you been diagnosed with if you don't mind posting it. Perhaps you have before and I did not see it. Blue finger tips when exposed to the cold makes me wonder. Thank you.

Sorry I haven't posted my whole story yet, I will do that in the future when I get some significant time.

I have been technically diagnosed with a "skin disturbance" since they only punched biopsied my legs. I have temperature loss from my wrists to mid forearm that was uncovered in a Neurological exam. I have head to toe SFN/sensory symptoms, with the worst symptoms being in my upper body.

I was also diagnosed with a central vestibular disorder (Negative MRI; the ENT said it was a problem with neural pathways). I don't necessarily agree with this, since I was assessed 1 year after onset, which makes diagnosis less accurate. It could very well be in the peripheral of my ear. I also have the ENT dept pointing to the Neuro dept asking if they know....ugh.

I've had many lab tests - all negative.

Tunaboy 03-24-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1131399)
I suspect this reflects an infection somewhere.
Take your temperature for a few days.

Spells of low blood sugar may do this also.
I get the shivers when I have a severe GI spasm.

Diverticulosis,
Prostatitis,
Sinus infections
Gall bladder infections
Hepatitis
Chronic appendicitis
bacterial endocarditis
and many others....

All can simmer in a low grade way.

Do you get the shivers around 4pm or
4am? Chronic issues flare when cortisol
Is low.

Cold intolerance comes with low thyroid but
I never had shivers with mine .. Just a
Deep bone cold pain.

I'd discuss this with your doctor. Shivers are a serious symptom of something wrong in your body.

After using antibiotics it is possible to develop what is called a nosocomial infection. This occurs when the antibiotic kills off many germs (broad spectrum types are most common) and the remaining few pathogens not susceptible grow in abundance and create a new infectious problem.

My temp is fine and I never get shivers at night when im under the covers. I guess I will wait until it warms up. I would think I would get a fever if I have an infection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuroproblem (Post 1131414)
when my unknown neuropathy started more than 2 months ago, i had chills and shivering, more like tensing up to cold, but there was no cold infection, nor was it cold. i had that shivering uncontrollably. i believe mines is neurological.
do you mean at 30 degree celcius? or farenheit?

30 F

janieg 03-24-2015 11:04 PM

Yes, there are times when I get ridiculously cold for no reason. It was at its worst last year when all my other symptoms were at their worst as well.

I should add that when I checked my temp, it was lower than normal.

kneed2no 04-13-2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunaboy (Post 1131379)

I can relate. I often get shivering feeling and have goosebumps - even when I am hot. It is possibly related to temperature regulation problems with autonomic peripheral neuropathy. I found this wonderful article recently which I can't find this evening but if I find it, I will post it. Found it but I see that I cannot post links yet. Just Google - Mystery Disease Unraveled by Stanford neurologist.

This article is discussing autonomic dysfunction - which can occur in peripheral neuropathy.