NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Stalevo - Stumped (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/62198-stalevo-stumped.html)

rd42 11-29-2008 07:57 PM

Stalevo - Stumped

I'm kinda confused. I started Stalevo 3 months ago and have been at 300mg/day for 2.5 months. The doc told me to stay at that level for a while.

I have noticed no change in general, whether it's 30 minutes after a dose, or when i miss a dose. From reading about others experience I expected to feel something noticeable (other than feeling a little stoned if i take it on an empty stomach)

I'm 33, dx'd at 30, on Azilect, wishful thinking and nothing else.

What do you folks think?

Side note: Parkinson's plus comes to mind... shouldn't they call it something else? Plus brings to mind something good, like getting a super power or at maybe a cape. I think I might start wearing a cape; maybe with an emblem in the shape of a middle finger with "Parkinson's Sucks" in and an Old English font beneath it.

Take care and thanks for any input!

jeanb 11-29-2008 09:00 PM

it works for me...

RD42

I take the same amount of Stalevo, but I notice a big difference about 30 minutes after I take it.

I must take it on an empty stomach or it doesn't work much for me though.

I wish I had something more helpful to tell you.

Jean

Chicory 11-29-2008 09:04 PM

How were you diagnosed with Parkinson's?
I was diagnosed because my symptoms improved when I took Mirapex. My doctor later switched me to Stalevo instead of Mirapex. I notice a difference within 10 minutes of taking Stalevo- I am able to move my foot that is stiff when my meds wear off and my fingers also become less stiff. I take Stalevo 50 - 4 x a day and Requip XL 8 mg. I never miss a dose because when I am late taking a dose, besides stiffness in my foot and my fingers, I get a stiff neck and paresthesia, so then I remember to take it.

rd42 11-29-2008 09:57 PM

I was dx'd by two MDS' that specialize in PD, which could be why they jumped at the diagnosis. I was diagnosed based on the tremor/dystonia on my left side. I took Requip for three months and experienced unreasonable side effects long before reaching a therapeutic doseage. I waited a year and started Azilect with no side effects. After about 6-8 weeks my mood seemed to be better so I stuck with it. No symptom relief though.

My symptoms started with "esential tremor" in my left wrist, then cog wheeling in the shoulder, then those symptoms carried on to my left leg as well.

Robert

rd42 11-29-2008 09:58 PM

How long have you two had PD, or the diagnosis of PD?

jeanb 11-29-2008 11:15 PM

my dx

was 6 years ago - right after i got a tremor in one finger - my arm didn't swing and an mri showed no tumor - hence the dx.

rd42 11-29-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanb (Post 417233)
was 6 years ago - right after i got a tremor in one finger - my arm didn't swing and an mri showed no tumor - hence the dx.

Are you on you taking Sinemet as well?

Thanks,

Robert

made it up 11-30-2008 12:07 AM

Hi Robert,
Anti parkinson medication works better on a relatively empty stomach so if you're having trouble feeling what I'm guessing is disorientated perhaps have a snack a while beforehand.
Also your meds will work better if your diet doesn't consist of much or any animal protein.
Consistency in taking meds and building up on them gradually is important.
Also if you decide to omit a certain drug from your regular regime do it slowly.
If you've commenced Sinemet maybe ask your MDS about the relevance of taking these add on drugs?
Just my opinion.
Lee

rd42 11-30-2008 09:18 AM

I usually take my first dose after I have a cup of oatmeal, sometimes before. This morning I tried it on an empty stomach, it's been 25 minutes and I have noticed no change in tremor or dystonia(my dominant symptom).

I know you titrate up with Stalevo, but in regards to L-Dopa, you don't build up a reserve with the medication, right?

I haven't started Sinemet yet.
Thanks for the pointer, I will continue to take Stalevo on an empty stomach and see if there are any changes in my symptoms. I could use the relief :)

Robert

jeanb 11-30-2008 12:57 PM

stalevo vs sinemet

Robert,

Sinemet = Carbidopa + Levodopa
Stalevo = Carbidopa + Levodopa + Entacapone

(stalevo: "the combination of entacapone, carbidopa, and levodopa provided longer control of PD symptoms compared with carbidopa and levodopa alone.")

So if you are on Stalevo, you won't take Sinemet at the same time since you're already taking the same chemicals.

It takes me about 30-45 minutes for stalevo to start working on an empty stomach and stop my tremor.

Good luck, Jean

Quote:

Originally Posted by rd42 (Post 417360)
I usually take my first dose after I have a cup of oatmeal, sometimes before. This morning I tried it on an empty stomach, it's been 25 minutes and I have noticed no change in tremor or dystonia(my dominant symptom).

I know you titrate up with Stalevo, but in regards to L-Dopa, you don't build up a reserve with the medication, right?

I haven't started Sinemet yet.
Thanks for the pointer, I will continue to take Stalevo on an empty stomach and see if there are any changes in my symptoms. I could use the relief :)

Robert