NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MS Related Seizures... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/37016-ms-related-seizures.html)

Momma's Kids 01-23-2008 01:24 PM

MS Related Seizures...

A few weeks ago I had to go the ER because I felt very weird...more so than my normal very weird that I have lived normally for 50 years. Soon after I got there I started having convulsions. After about 3 hours or so they stopped and I got to come home, the ER doc said it was MS related. I haven't had any since nor did I have any previously.

I wonder if the tiny jerks I have are preludes to what I experienced in the ER.
I haven't changed any meds or rather nothing at that time that would explain medication inducing a reaction other than the Antivert they gave me. I've taken that before with no problems.

Such a strange happening it was...but then if it had not of been, I guess it wouldn't be normal for me. lol

SandyC 01-23-2008 01:53 PM

Jim had ms related seizures Momma as you know. This is one reason why he needs someone around 24/7 in case another one comes up. Since his last one he's had his meds lowered and some even stopped. It's been almost five years since the big one. The twitches/jerks you describe, for Jim, were minor after affect seizures. He would sit there and his head or arms would twitch. Even in his sleep and that was scary. His eyes would do a weird twitching thing and his shoulders would jerk.

Now, the doctors concluded that the tiny twitches/jerks were from the big grand mal he had. He said to think of it like an earthquake. Usually after a earthquake you have residual tremors. Does that make sense?

tovaxin_lab_rat 01-23-2008 03:16 PM

Patricia

About 3 years ago, I had something similar happen to me. I had 7 seizures in one day - actually in about a 10 hour period. It was pretty scary. I could hear what was going on around me but I could not respond to anyone. They lasted about 30 seconds and all the symptoms were on my left side.

I had 2 in the car, 2 in the ambulance, and 3 in the ER. They did a CT scan, an MRI, EKG, and an EEG. Found nothing. :eek::rolleyes:

Loaded me up on Dilantin and made me stay on the dopey drug for a month. I think I was sleeping about 18 hours a day on that darn drug. I finally told my doc no more of this stuff, I am coming off it.

We weened me off the dilantin and upped my Topamax to 500mg a day - it's also an anti-seizure drug.

I've never had another seizure, nor had I had one prior to that day.

We all choked it up to stress and the beginning of a very bad exacerbation.

I have since backed down on the Topamax to 400 mg. No problems.

Blessings2You 01-23-2008 05:17 PM

My Dad had what he called "black-outs", and a doctor years later said they were no doubt seizures. He gave up his driver's license after he had one while driving and went off the road. My mother said he was staring straight ahead, gripping the wheel, and just drove off the road while she was screaming. He couldn't remember it afterward. Only lasted a few seconds.

sassy 01-23-2008 05:25 PM

I had partial seizures, nothing big but very irritating and scary.

I was on Dilantin, then Keppra. After being seizure free on the meds for about 2 years I was weaned off Keppra and another EEG was done and I seem to be seizure free now! MS related is what the guess of my neuro was.

SandyC 01-23-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessings2You (Post 194365)
My Dad had what he called "black-outs", and a doctor years later said they were no doubt seizures. He gave up his driver's license after he had one while driving and went off the road. My mother said he was staring straight ahead, gripping the wheel, and just drove off the road while she was screaming. He couldn't remember it afterward. Only lasted a few seconds.

That happened to my mom. Somehow she made it to my sisters house. :eek:

duvabw 01-24-2008 01:25 AM

I had my first seizure last Spring. EEG confirmed seizure activity. My Neurontin was increased and I was put on Keppra. I've had seizures since then and the Keppra has been increased.

My daughter has Epilepsy and both my maternal grandmother and paternal grandfather had seizures.

My neuro feels the seizures are MS related however I also have a family history of seizures so it's really impossible to say "why" I have them.

I have had jerks following a seizure. For example, after a seizure, my head jerked from center to right for several hours. The jerks were explained to me like after shocks that follow an earthquake (like Sandy said).

Even tho I have a lot of experience with seizures (my daughter has had them since birth) they can still be very scary.

Hope you feel better soon and don't experience anymore seizures!

Annelee 02-01-2010 10:26 PM

Hi. I thought I would restart this thread. Someone asked me about MS (since I have it) and blackouts.

Does anyone know more about this condition? Just walking along and then boom! Out like a light for 3 or 4 mintues.

Thanks for your input.

Dejibo 02-02-2010 09:51 AM

This thread scares the peepers out of me! Siezures is pretty high on my list of things I dont want.

Thanks for the great info. :hug:

FinLady 02-03-2010 02:43 AM

Momma, so sorry to hear you had this happen. :hug::hug:

My mom had about three MS-related seizures that I can remember when I was growing up. She had some rough ones, but her path was a tough road to begin with. Luckily they were years apart.

Glad you seem to being doing better. Hang in there! :hug::hug: