NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   I'm going to look into this program for Jim (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/89249-im-look-program-jim.html)

SandyC 06-07-2009 04:44 PM

I'm going to look into this program for Jim

This is a horse riding program that provides free lessons to those who are disabled. They accept children and adults. I think Jim would love to do this program because he used to ride and has talked about missing it before.

I hope they accept people in wheelchairs! They may require strong upper body strength so who knows? Jim's is pretty good but his balance is off. I'll call them Monday.

EQUINE DREAMS

Kitt 06-07-2009 04:52 PM

Sounds good. I know that kind of exercise, so to speak, is really good. I would guess they accept people who are in wheelchairs and they have accommodations in order to get them on a horse. It sounds great.

I used to have my own horse and ride but that was in my youth long before any of this. Good luck:)

Aarcyn 06-07-2009 04:55 PM

I am hoping there are good supports for once Jim gets on the horse.

I think it would be a wonderful experience. I would love to do it myself.

SandyC 06-07-2009 05:17 PM

I hope they have the supports too! I'm going to show him the website tonight. I've mentioned it before and he seemed interested.

Kitty 06-07-2009 05:26 PM

Good luck with this, Sandy! I hope it's something that he can do and enjoy. :)

Kitt 06-07-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 520480)
I hope they have the supports too! I'm going to show him the website tonight. I've mentioned it before and he seemed interested.

I believe they have people who walk along side and take good care of the rider. At least that is what I have seen.

SandyC 06-07-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitt (Post 520496)
I believe they have people who walk along side and take good care of the rider. At least that is what I have seen.

I read something about that on their site how they evaluate and decide how many volunteers one will need.

Dejibo 06-07-2009 06:23 PM

Giddyup! :cool:

SallyC 06-07-2009 07:54 PM

Yippeekyaaaaa, I hope it works for him, Sandy.:hug:

AZjanie 06-08-2009 11:10 AM

A "horsey" family here in town is doing that. :)

I think it's wonderful and it seems to be working out well for all. Our newspaper did an article and it showed the ramps for wc users and transfer benches used to get them on the horses back.

The horse looked like he was sleeping and was so patient while the volunteers put the (big) guy on the horses back and the guy had such a big smile I had tears looking at the pics.

I say "go for it"! :D