NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   My cat has cancer (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/13950-cat-cancer.html)

Calm 02-21-2007 10:22 AM

My cat has cancer

My cat was dx'ed with mammary gland cancer a few months ago. She had surgery to remove the masses, and the pathologist report came back stating it was an extremely aggressive form of mammary gland cancer. She had another visit back in December to the vet and another mass was discovered in another location. Can anyone tell me if their cats have ever had this? I guess I'm just afraid that I won't pick up on the signals of when she is really hurting and suffering. I don't want her to suffer. I mean it's not like she can verbally communicate what she is feeling to me. I've had her for 12 years and know her behaviors well but I'm still worried that she may be suffering and I hate that idea. I probably should speak to her vet about what to look for.

Thanks for listening.

Chemar 02-21-2007 10:38 AM

Dear Calm
just yesterday i got a newsletter in about mammary cancer in pets.
It linked to this article...dont know if the article or links can be of help to you

I am so sorry to hear of your kitty's illness and also hope she will not suffer with this:hug:

Alffe 02-21-2007 11:49 AM

Oh I'm so sorry Calm..12 years, that's a lot of love. :hug:

Calm 02-22-2007 08:24 AM

Thank you Chemar and Alffe for you words of comfort. I did receive information on what signs to watch out for. So far she hasn't shown any of the signs which they listed as:
decreased activity, weight loss, shortness of breath, coughing, decreased appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.

She isn't as active as she used to be but she still does play with her little mouse toys and has her spurts of energy where she races through the house. I feel better knowing now what symptoms can present and to watch out for them.

Thanks a bunch
:)

Julie 02-23-2007 10:19 AM

(((((Calm)))))

Calm 02-23-2007 10:53 AM

Thank you, Julie. Yesterday we had a scare. Came home and usually she's at the top of the stairs waiting to greet me. And if she's not right there, she'll usually come running out within a couple of minutes. Yesterday, she wasn't at the top of the stairs, and I called to her a few times. Well, nothing happened. I went looking for her and couldn't find her anywhere. A good twenty minutes passed before she appeared. I was a bit freaked. She must have another cubby hole somewhere that I don't know about yet because I looked everywhere. And I thought maybe she died. So when she showed up it was a huge relief. I gave her her dinner meal and she ate it right up. So it all turned out alright. Thank heavens!

Julie 02-23-2007 03:30 PM

A
you poor thing. I also freak a little when I can't find my kitties.

Calm 02-24-2007 08:21 AM

I have to discover her new hiding place so if this happens again I'll know where to look. :)