NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Has anyone used Neurontin(gabapentin)? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/139108-neurontin-gabapentin.html)

Momlovetobake 11-22-2010 05:40 PM

Has anyone used Neurontin(gabapentin)?

I have just been prescribed this drug and I was wondering what your thoughts are on this?

ginnie 11-22-2010 05:50 PM

med.

People react very differently to this medication. I felt so tired and and a bit loopy. I didn't like the side effects, I was told they deminish in time. I didn't have much in the way of patience so I asked to discontinue it. I try very hard to except a medication, and this one really didn't make me feel very good. Others have great success and have little in the way of symptoms, and it helps their pain. Ginnie

Momlovetobake 11-22-2010 05:54 PM

I had this before long ago but discontinued it also because i did not feel right. He said things could be different now. Im very weary about meds but im at the point where im going crazy and im in constant pain and tears.

Mycah 11-22-2010 08:22 PM

I've been on it for about five months and it does help my burning pain. After gradually working my way up I am now on 2400mg/day. A couple of my doctors said this medicine has few side effects, ha. I have noticed blurry vision and a little loopiness but it could be the Oxycontin I take.

Good luck.
Nancy

AintSoBad 11-22-2010 10:19 PM

I've never taken it. But have some friend that do. They seem to agree that there can be Major Weight Gain.
And, alone, against rsd, isn't a magic pill, as they haven't found one yet....

Good luck!

Pete

asb

finz 11-22-2010 11:00 PM

Tons of threads on here about Neurontin and it's cousin Lyrica.

Flushing, fatigue, weight gain, and diabetes are my worst side effects from it.

gabbycakes 11-23-2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finz (Post 718912)
Tons of threads on here about Neurontin and it's cousin Lyrica.

Flushing, fatigue, weight gain, and diabetes are my worst side effects from it.

Hi,

I took both neurontin and lyrica. I had problems with being sleepy I mean I remember driving and almost falling asleep which is not me and the weight gain forget it I gained so much and even after I went off it the weight still kept going. It seemed to take a long time to get out of my system. Now I'm down 60lbs but I'll never take it again. Yet, I have heard people getting great results it's just not for me.

Good Luck

Gabbycakes

finz 11-23-2010 03:38 AM

For me, the side effects stink, big time......but it's better than the pain.

lorigood243 11-23-2010 05:15 PM

i have taken it 4 months and it does help my burning....i am horribly sleepy but didnt realize it was from this...but its good not to burn. havent had any weight gain..but its no cure thats for sure.
lori

Lisa in Ohio 11-23-2010 07:28 PM

I tried this med a long time ago and had severe side effects. I would get very dizzy and I finally quit taking it when I passed out outside in the middle of the winter while taking out the trash. I woke up in a snow bank after I don't know how long and it was a long time before I could get myself up and back into the house. Of course I then had a flare from getting so cold from laying in the snow. I do know that many doctors like this drug for RSD, it seems to be a standard of care prescription. Good luck to you and remember that I am just one person, many others take this with no side effects. Lisa