NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   2 weeks post op - jolting pain in chest/back (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/148821-2-weeks-post-op-jolting-pain-chest.html)

VodKanockers 04-20-2011 12:33 PM

2 weeks post op - jolting pain in chest/back

i had the resection done 2 weeks ago today. for the most part my recovery has been a breeze. However, yesterday afternoon i started getting this very strong, jolting pain pretty much whenever i move. my surgery was on the right side but most of the pain is on my left. it's kind of random but only happens when i move. Just a quick jolt of pain that goes away after a second or two. it hurts like near my ribs, my sternum, my back (almost feels like my spine). i got home from work yesterday and went to bed at 5:30 and woke up at 6:30 this morning (definitely not normal for me).

any ideas????

I'm about to call my doc because this isn't anything i've heard of. nor do i have any guesses as to what is causing the pain.

Jomar 04-20-2011 12:47 PM

I would call him, I don't recall reading anything like that from previous posters..

Moxie 04-21-2011 08:09 AM

Similar pain 2 -6 weeks post op

Quote:

Originally Posted by VodKanockers (Post 763917)
i had the resection done 2 weeks ago today. for the most part my recovery has been a breeze. However, yesterday afternoon i started getting this very strong, jolting pain pretty much whenever i move. my surgery was on the right side but most of the pain is on my left. it's kind of random but only happens when i move. Just a quick jolt of pain that goes away after a second or two. it hurts like near my ribs, my sternum, my back (almost feels like my spine). i got home from work yesterday and went to bed at 5:30 and woke up at 6:30 this morning (definitely not normal for me).

any ideas????

I'm about to call my doc because this isn't anything i've heard of. nor do i have any guesses as to what is causing the pain.

Hi there- I am 7 weeks post op for my first rib resection/scalenectomy (via clavicular not armpit) and I had similar pain in the same place from week 2 post-op through about 6 week post-op - My surgeon attributes the pain to body readjusting to trauma in that area. Same pain as you describe accompanied by a feeling of not being able to take a full deep breath. But, I also had to have a chest tube placed in and around my breast area. Sharp pain slowly subsided to dull ache and now I am able to take deep breathes fairly normally (depending on my position and how long I have been laying down/sitting up). I am not returning to work for at least another 2-3 months because of the position I would have to return to (sitting at a desk and using a computer an phone for majority of day).

VodKanockers 04-22-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moxie (Post 764130)
Hi there- I am 7 weeks post op for my first rib resection/scalenectomy (via clavicular not armpit) and I had similar pain in the same place from week 2 post-op through about 6 week post-op - My surgeon attributes the pain to body readjusting to trauma in that area. Same pain as you describe accompanied by a feeling of not being able to take a full deep breath. But, I also had to have a chest tube placed in and around my breast area. Sharp pain slowly subsided to dull ache and now I am able to take deep breathes fairly normally (depending on my position and how long I have been laying down/sitting up). I am not returning to work for at least another 2-3 months because of the position I would have to return to (sitting at a desk and using a computer an phone for majority of day).

Thank you both. It's gotten quite a bit better over just these last few days. I do think that it's related to my body adjusting. wow, that was a sharp pain though.