NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   My SSD has been approved! (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/12472-ssd-approved.html)

Denise G 02-01-2007 03:36 PM

My SSD has been approved!

Hi all,

I haven't even been letting myself "think about" being approved before I got at least one denial! But I got a message from Soc Sec asking me to bring in some final paperwork "so your benefits can get started".

I'm almost numb! But very greatful!

But I need some "knowledge" from anyone of you who may know how this works. When I did speak to this person she told me she couldn't answer ANY questions, and when I asked if I would have an appt with someone to explain it, she said "No".

I guess I'll start getting checks in 1 to 2 months, but they didn't tell me how much! No one seems to know. They said when I 1st applied the worker should have, "written it down on a piece of paper" for me. But, I explained I applied over the phone.

My question is, will it be the same as what the Soc Sec Statement said that I received last March? It said, if you retire now you'll rcv such & such, if you retire at 70 you'll rcv such & such, OR, if you become disabled now, you will rcv such & such. (You know the one I'm talking about?)

So, do they give you the amount stated? Or, can they change it?

Thanks all! Take heart! I believe the "attitudes" of those making these decisions are beginning to soften some.

Denise

Julie 02-01-2007 08:37 PM

I can't answer any of your questions, but know there will be someone along real soon that can help you.

Big Congratulations!!

Idealist 02-01-2007 11:03 PM

Congratulations, Denise! When I got my first check it was within a few dollars of what the regular statement said it would be. For some reason, my benefit amount seems to change slightly almost month to month. But I would think the amount on your statement is what you can probably expect.

As far as the other stuff, I'm really not certain. Just be sure you take in every piece of applicable paperwork you can think of.

Again, congratulations, especially on getting approved on the very first try! :)

Idealist

Denise G 02-02-2007 09:07 AM

Hi Idealist,

Thanks for your input! It sounds like they didn't explain how it works to you either. Did you even get an official "Letter" stating you were approved. I would think it would give a monthly benefit amount. I've heard that with SSI some states (not all) "kick in" an additional amount. But with SSD I'd think it's some exact amount.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm needing to tell my landlords if I will be able to pay rent for March. And, I need car repairs! (over 123,000 miles!). So, this news is "just in time"!!

Denise

ammitnme 02-04-2007 12:07 AM

Denise...
I can only imagine your relief!
I have been waiting close to two years for my hearing...:crazy:
I am so happy to hear the system worked for you!
Leisa

lailavia 05-18-2007 08:25 PM

I'm happy for you....may I ask what your disabilities are?

I'm in the process right now, just curious as to what others' have going on...

DM 05-18-2007 08:29 PM

COngratulations on hearing about receiving your benefits!!! I know some people who have been waiting a long time... Good for you.....

Cappy 05-19-2007 11:33 AM

Congrats!

It took me over four (4) years and two denials and finally with a court hearing, a judge and a Benefits Advocate, I won a bench decison which means the Judge decided right there at the hearing, which does'nt happen often. Typically they wait and review the recording of the trial and the medical records and let you know 2 to 6 months after the trial.
Hang in there and don't quit. If you have real issues and truly cannot work, sooner or later you will get it.:)

nancy-h 06-15-2007 08:42 PM

Congrats!!!!

Denise,

Congratulations! Bet there's a great load off your shoulders. I was just approved (after 2 1/2 yrs.) and I am sooooo amazed how it has effected my attitude toward life. I'm not as angry about my disability.

Anyway, I've been told an amount over the phone so I don't know why you weren't. Did you talk to your local office or someone on their 800 number? I talked to a rep on the national 800 number who was very helpful. The amount was just slightly different than the amount listed on my statement.

Have fun,
Nancy