NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   shoes for neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/118084-shoes-neuropathy.html)

mizz mg 04-01-2010 02:03 PM

shoes for neuropathy

i would like to know, what kind of shoes does one wear with periphral neuropathy. during the cold months i was wearing uggs, they were very comfy, but its getting hot now, can anyone help me?

mrsD 04-01-2010 03:10 PM

Welcome to our PN forum.

I think shoes are a very personal thing.

If you use the search function to the top right of the page on the main index page for "shoes"....you will see all sorts of suggestions.

Many wear Crocs in summer. I prefer slide on types myself. Right now I have a pair of memory foam slide ons from Dr. Scholl's last year Men's dept. They are called Breakaway's. But I think they were discontinued. (I bought 2 pair last fall) They are really really nice for me.
Another brand that is easy on the feet is Arcopedicos.

But others have their own discoveries. So please do use the search function.

I could never use UGGS in winter... toooooo Hot!

cyclelops 04-01-2010 04:19 PM

I am stuck with these really HARD orthotics in motion minimizing running shoes....feels like being stuck in concrete.

numbfoot 04-01-2010 04:34 PM

I get round home in socks or bare feet. When I go out sandals & socks, which my daughter hates. I wear normal shoes when I have to but not for long.
When I go cycling I have to wear clipon cycle shoes to keep my feet on the pedals.

plgerrard 04-01-2010 04:43 PM

I need something contoured with a cushion, and like the Merrell Toe Thong and Sliders for around the house. For something a little dressier, either Merrell's Agave or Teva Ventura, that have leather straps.

I can't wear closed toe shoes at all. So even in winter I wear the Agave or Ventura with socks--but not just any sock. They have to be fun. My favorites are from socklady.com. They are heavy knitted socks with semi-matching colors and patterns. Their motto is "life is too short to match socks". I now have a drawer full of fun socks, because when family or friends see something different, they think of me and buy them.

cyclelops 04-01-2010 04:47 PM

Oh funny! I wear crazy socks too. Airport security gets a kick out of them....when I fly I wear suns, moons, stars, etc. I have all kinds. I like bees, cows, frogs, and of course, my Nordic collection. It is getting warm now tho...and barefoot seems very appealing to me....dirt socks!

mrsD 04-01-2010 06:30 PM

I can't wear socks much anymore! sigh.

mizz mg 04-01-2010 07:32 PM

thanks

thanks to all who answered, i find that flat wide shoes work for me, tho i havn't tried many. my feet are so swollen on the bottom, so i don't think anything with cushion will help, i have a pair of crocks but they feel right on the bottom of my feet. i can't even walk right, i wish i could ride a bike:). i'm gonna have to go shoe shopping, tho i can't walk to far or too long. i used to love to shop, now i dread it. i can walk good with those uggs, gotta find something cool, wish me luck guys:)

zorro1 04-01-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 639255)
I can't wear socks much anymore! sigh.

Me to:(
However I did get custom soles made from a mold in Thailand where I live and wear them in open sandles. The difference is phenomenal! having an arch that fits 100% takes a lot of stress off the feet and nerves. Around $150 custom made

aussiemom 04-01-2010 10:10 PM

As MrsD said, each of us is different, I have good results with Birkenstocks.