NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   c5 c6 problems (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/174794-c5-c6.html)

brmr19 08-14-2012 10:11 PM

c5 c6 problems

Here is what my mri states
C5-6: DISK: diffuse annular bulging
ENDPLATES /UNCINATE PROCESSES: small osteophytes
FACET JOINTS: degenerative
CENTRAL CANAL: Minimally stenotic
FORAMINA: minimally stenotic
Osseous edema is present in cancellous vertebral bone adjacent to the
endplates representing type I spondylosis.

I am curious what symptoms people with c5 c6 bulging disk are experiencing. I have other issues, but not sure if any of my problems are related to the disk

Dr. Smith 08-14-2012 11:26 PM

Any answers might not be relevant. MRIs (or rather the underlying conditions in the spine) are like snowflakes -- no two are identical, and they can change. It's conceivable that two persons' MRI reports could be identical due to interpretation and language (even though the underlying conditions are not identical) yet their symptoms could be vastly different. E.g. it's not uncommon for some people with apparently severe degeneration to have very mild, or even no symptoms, while others with very minimal degeneration can experience varied and severe symptoms.

All that said, googling: degenerative disc disease cervical symptoms c6 should give you a pretty good idea of the range symptoms people may experience. Reviewing a chart of dermatomes may give an idea of where symptoms may be experienced, but charts of symptoms & location are a bit like the Pirates' Code -- they're "more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules". :p

Doc

Sally Mae 08-15-2012 08:09 PM

C5-C6 disc bulge symptoms

Quote:

Originally Posted by brmr19 (Post 905831)
Here is what my mri states
C5-6: DISK: diffuse annular bulging
ENDPLATES /UNCINATE PROCESSES: small osteophytes
FACET JOINTS: degenerative
CENTRAL CANAL: Minimally stenotic
FORAMINA: minimally stenotic
Osseous edema is present in cancellous vertebral bone adjacent to the
endplates representing type I spondylosis.

I am curious what symptoms people with c5 c6 bulging disk are experiencing. I have other issues, but not sure if any of my problems are related to the disk

Hi

I have herniated discs at several levels but my C5-C6 bulge was the worst. I had ACDF last December to attempt to resolve the issue. It got rid of the pins and needles sensation and numbness but brought on other problems. To answer your question about the symptoms, I had complete numbness in the first dorsal compartment of my left hand (over the thumb area) and burning pain radiating from my neck, into my shoulder and down my arm. When the worst of it came o on I could not feel my left thumb at all. I also had muscle spasms in my upper traps. My left side was much weaker than my right side. If I were you, I would get more than one medical opinion before proceeding with anything. I think surgery is a last resort when you have tried all other non-invasive options like physical therapy, chiropractic, acupuncture, and steroid injections. Good luck to you and I really hope that you find relief soon! :hug:

Sally Mae 08-15-2012 08:23 PM

Cervical facet nerve block

I'm getting my first nerve block tomorrow. I'm nervous :eek: about the procedure as I'm already in a lot of pain. :(If anyone has had this procedure done, I'd like to hear about your experience with it and if it helped you. Thanks!

Dr. Smith 08-16-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sally Mae (Post 906100)
I'm getting my first nerve block tomorrow.

It'll either help or it won't. If it doesn't within the first few days (or sooner) and/or doesn't last several months, I wouldn't let them do another.

Just one opinion.

Doc

Sally Mae 08-16-2012 11:50 PM

Facet Nerve Block Injections

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 906284)
It'll either help or it won't. If it doesn't within the first few days (or sooner) and/or doesn't last several months, I wouldn't let them do another.

Just one opinion.

Doc

Hi Doc,

Thanks for your opinion. Immediately after the procedure, the pain that has been present for a long time, was relieved from the injections. Both the nurse and doctor said that is a very good sign that the nerve block was successfully applied. I also noticed some soreness from the injections, but that is to be expected. As the doctor explained to me today, the facet injections are primarily a diagnostic procedure to verify that RFA will work. He said most insurance companies, including mine, require 2 facet block procedures before performing RFA. I still can feel some of the numbing medication in my neck so I guess I'll have to see how this feels tomorrow before making decisions on whether to proceed further.

Dr. Smith 08-17-2012 10:50 AM

Hi Sally,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sally Mae (Post 906464)
As the doctor explained to me today, the facet injections are primarily a diagnostic procedure to verify that RFA will work.

I was confused/mistaken about the type of injection this was (it happens -- that's what I get for being in a rush... :o). Either way, what I said shouldn't be construed as negative.

Hope this works out better than expected/hoped for! :)

Doc

Sally Mae 08-17-2012 08:19 PM

Facet Nerve Block Injections

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 906548)
I was confused/mistaken about the type of injection this was (it happens -- that's what I get for being in a rush... :o). Either way, what I said shouldn't be construed as negative.

Hope this works out better than expected/hoped for! :)

Doc

No worries doc. It's all good. :) I made it through yesterday. I was very grateful for a mild sedative during the procedure. It was not pleasant to go through. It was at least 12 or more injections on each side of my neck. It hurt like crazy once they started on my left side, which is always the side that seems to hurt more. (If anyone else out there is having this same procedure done, I would recommend taking the sedative if offered, especially if you already have a lot of neck pain to begin with.)

There was noted relief from the usual pain I have afterward so that means the nerve block was applied to the correct areas and it was a very good sign. :D I had a really tricky time walking afterward. My head felt like a bowling ball and I couldn't seem to balance when I would stand up. :eek: Kept stumbling backwards so I had to lay down for a while again before attempting to leave. :thud: Now since the numbing has completely worn off my neck hurts like hell. :( My neck muscles still feel a bit weak too. That was a lot of work they did in there yesterday.

I have to have one more nerve block completed and then they will do the RFA. It seems like a lot of trauma to go through but the doctors are in agreement that this is the best route for me to get longer lasting pain relief.

eva5667faliure 08-17-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sally mae (Post 906673)
no worries doc. It's all good. :) i made it through yesterday. I was very grateful for a mild sedative during the procedure. It was not pleasant to go through. It was at least 12 or more injections on each side of my neck. It hurt like crazy once they started on my left side, which is always the side that seems to hurt more. (if anyone else out there is having this same procedure done, i would recommend taking the sedative if offered, especially if you already have a lot of neck pain to begin with.)

there was noted relief from the usual pain i have afterward so that means the nerve block was applied to the correct areas and it was a very good sign. :d i had a really tricky time walking afterward. My head felt like a bowling ball and i couldn't seem to balance when i would stand up. :eek: Kept stumbling backwards so i had to lay down for a while again before attempting to leave. :thud: Now since the numbing has completely worn off my neck hurts like hell. :( my neck muscles still feel a bit weak too. That was a lot of work they did in there yesterday.

I have to have one more nerve block completed and then they will do the rfa. It seems like a lot of trauma to go through but the doctors are in agreement that this is the best route for me to get longer lasting pain relief.

happy to read a successful journey
wishing absolute relief

someone who cares

joojee22 08-27-2012 04:25 PM

I have been being treated for the same condition since what Nov. 2011 now.. It's been a road of injections, had the RFA.. did a facet joint steriod injection about 2 weeks ago, the last one worked, this one didnt. The RFA wears off in about 2 to 3 months, its a strange feeling.

unless you can get PT to work we will both p[robably be doing a ACDF surgery.. argh..

Best wishes.

J.