NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   any meds to help with overstimulation?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/150484-meds-help-overstimulation.html)

wtrpk 05-18-2011 07:24 PM

any meds to help with overstimulation??

Mark...hoping you can chime in here...

and what about this vibrating feeling in my head?

Mark in Idaho 05-18-2011 10:06 PM

The anti-anxiety value of Paxil should help over time. It takes about 6 weeks to get the full effect of Paxil. If it can help you reduce your anxiety level, you may be able to tolerate more stimulation.

You sound like a Type A personality. This is likely your biggest challenge.

Learning to let go of many of the things you stress about will go a long way. I started letting go of many of life's stresses because even before my PCS hit full force, I could see what it was doing to me and my relationships. I was a Type A personality with ADD person. I could be miserable to be around some times.

A way to scrutinize the things that you fret about is this simple question. Will I care about this issue next week, next month, or next year? If you look back at the frets of a year ago, you will have a difficult time remembering them let alone whether you came to a solution with them.

Some have said, We spend 90% of our time worrying about things that don't even impact our lives 90% of the time. I botched the quote but hope you get the meaning. Basically, most of what we worry about never come to a need to be even concerned about.

The moral of the point is we need to be very careful to pick our battles. You kids will do great without you/they doing everything conceivable.

Think, What can we (your whole family) do to simplify our lives?

Lucy 05-18-2011 10:39 PM

I agree with Mark on this.

However I have not found any drug that would help with over stimulation. I just avoid any occasion where this could happen if possible.

If I don't I know that it could take a week to recover from.

wtrpk 05-19-2011 07:24 AM

Thanks..

I am miserable though...I was looking forward to feeling better enough to go to this party for our baseball parents (only) in town. Its a annual event and everyone has a blast. My husband organizes it. I know going is going to be a disaster for a week...and my daughter is coming home from college the next night. I'm so upset i really wanted to go.

Yes Mark...type A personality ..right on target.

freezerdoor 05-19-2011 09:33 AM

I am type A as well but lucky for me, the concussion took away a LOT of my drive. I am really resigned to letting it do it's thing. The brain has to heal.

I haven't given up but I'm fighting it by letting it heal. I don't have any other choice.

wtrpk 05-19-2011 04:50 PM

I'm a huge fighter....gone thru a lot in my life with myself and my kids and this is probably the reason that I don't learn my lesson and go out. "fight or flight" and I always choose fight...and suffer!!!!