NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   l-theanine? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/147327-theanine.html)

BittersweetSerenity 03-26-2011 02:11 AM

l-theanine?

Has anyone had success with this helping for anxiety?? I am at my wits end...

mrsD 03-26-2011 02:21 AM

My son uses this 100mg twice a day. He says it calms him down and helps him focus at work. He uses SunTheanine brand.

He has an old diagnosis of ADHD with Anxiety. Back when he was 8 yrs old. He is now 29.

We've managed him with supplements, fish oil, magnesium and b-vitamins, and zinc when his Ritalin became unbearable.
He still has episodes of anxiety.. and I think his coffee consumption is partly to blame.

BittersweetSerenity 03-26-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 756354)
My son uses this 100mg twice a day. He says it calms him down and helps him focus at work. He uses SunTheanine brand.

He has an old diagnosis of ADHD with Anxiety. Back when he was 8 yrs old. He is now 29.

We've managed him with supplements, fish oil, magnesium and b-vitamins, and zinc when his Ritalin became unbearable.
He still has episodes of anxiety.. and I think his coffee consumption is partly to blame.

Ive cut out all caffeine.... still no resolve, I think I will get this tomorrow and see:hug:

Marlene 03-26-2011 05:36 AM

I use it and find it helps to calm me down. I may take 200 mg/day. My husband uses it sometimes prior to bedtime and it helps with sleep. It's action is very subtle.

Menopause seems to be taxing my adrenals and I find that I that get stressed out a lot more easily just from my normal everyday stresses. Vitamin C and a good B complex can help. Acupuncture is also helpful for reducing anxiety.

Marciab 03-26-2011 08:42 AM

I've been taking theanine for at least 2 years now ... I used 100 mg 3 times a day when I first started taking this and it worked like a charm ... Later used it at bedtime only to control nocturnal myoclonus (jerking when entering REM) it worked then too ...

FWIW though ... I found that I don't need this if I avoid all gluten though ... I react to certain other foods (mostly glutamates) in different ways but gluten really makes me anxious ...

The reason I needed Theanine 3 times a day in the beginning was because I was being cross contaminated by a houseguest who was eating gluten every day ... Once she left so did my need for Theanine ... :D

BittersweetSerenity 03-26-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 756354)

DO you know how long it takes to work??

mrsD 03-26-2011 05:15 PM

My son said it works quickly. He is not the patient sort of person.
Should work within a few days I'd expect.