NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   What do I do with this information? (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/189544-information.html)

numb and hurt 06-05-2013 06:55 PM

What do I do with this information?

From MRI (without contrast) results:
There is no cord signal abnormality. The posterior fossa contents are normal. A T2 hyperintense lesion is noted in the C7 vertebral body, to the right of midline, most consistent with a hemangioma.
C2-3: Normal.
C3-4: Normal.
C4-5: Normal.
C5-6: There is a broad disc/osteophyte complex without focal disc protrusion. There is mild bilateral uncovertebral ridging seen. The broad based disc abuts and deforms the ventral cord.
C6-7: There is a broad disc/osteophyte complex which is mild in degree. There is mild uncovertebral ridging bilaterally but no focal disc protrusion. There is no significant central canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.
C7-T1: There is no disc bulge or uncovertebral ridging.
IMPRESSION:
1. C5-6, there is a prominent disc/osteophyte complex with a broad based disc bulge which abuts the ventral cord. No focal disc protrusion. There is additionally mild uncovertebral ridging.
2. At C6-7, there is a mild disc/osteophyte complex with a broad based disc bulge which does not result in nerve root encroachment or significant central canal stenosis.

That was April 2007. I told the orthopedic then, that I had suffered with the same periodic neck pain and left arm numbness for 25 years and I was not interested in surgery. I got my results in the mail and, actually, have just now read them because I'm having another episode of pain. (Maybe due to new pillow that is too large and too firm?)

ginnie 06-05-2013 08:16 PM

Hello Numb and hurt

I would definately ask your doctor about C5-6, and what this deformity means. I think he will be the only one who could explain in detail what this means for you. I am no professional, but as long as it says, mild or moderate it is not a surgical case. I hope there is some treatment, that will work for you. Have you tried a memory foam pillow? This has done a world of good for my own neck. It comforms and is not lumpy. I wish you all the best. ginnie

numb and hurt 06-05-2013 09:16 PM

Thanks, ginnie

I have had a memory foam pillow and I think it was great. I recently got a new one with a cooling gel because I sleep so hot. That might be why I'm hurting so much now. It's thicker and more firm than my other one. Darn. More $$ wasted!

Leesa 06-06-2013 05:38 AM

I would be very concerned about the C5-6 where the disc abuts and DEFORMS the front of the spinal cord. This is nothing to sneeze at.

i would probably want to take these films and get an OPINION from a Neurosurgeon (NOT a Neurologist) and see what he says. If he even MENTIONS surgery, get 2 more opinions.

Never take one doctors opinion, when it comes to surgery. Always get at least 3 opinions. And remember that surgery is for mechanical problems, not pain. Usually after surgery, you're left with the same pain or worse.

So get some opinions, and see what they say. God bless and please take care. Also, let us know what they say too, okay? Hugs, Lee