NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   5 months post scalenectomy (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/203063-5-months-post-scalenectomy.html)

per834 04-08-2014 01:09 AM

5 months post scalenectomy

I woke up from my surgery crying because I did not think it helped. The first month I could barely look at my husband because we spent SO much money on the surgery and I thought not only did it not help, but I might be worse.

After 3 full months the nerves started to calm and I feel sooooooo much better! I can't believe how much better. I have a hard time even trying to understand the amount of pain I was in. I couldn't even think about doing the dished with out taking pain meds.
It's 5 months later now and I am doing very well. It's not perfect- but manageable, tolerable and I'm physically fit.

Please let me know if you have any questions because if you are on the fence amout surgery, I now wish I had done mine sooner.

Best to all

elap 04-08-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by per834 (Post 1062133)
I woke up from my surgery crying because I did not think it helped. The first month I could barely look at my husband because we spent SO much money on the surgery and I thought not only did it not help, but I might be worse.

After 3 full months the nerves started to calm and I feel sooooooo much better! I can't believe how much better. I have a hard time even trying to understand the amount of pain I was in. I couldn't even think about doing the dished with out taking pain meds.
It's 5 months later now and I am doing very well. It's not perfect- but manageable, tolerable and I'm physically fit.

Please let me know if you have any questions because if you are on the fence amout surgery, I now wish I had done mine sooner.

Best to all

Thanks for the update. It's great you're doing well! I'm one of those people on the fence about surgery. A while back you mentioned a burning sensation down one of your arms and I'm wondering if this has eased up or resolved. Based on your description of the burning, I have the same symptom. Also, does anyone know if burning indicates anything in particular (e.g. severity of nerve irritation or damage)?

per834 04-09-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elap (Post 1062170)
Thanks for the update. It's great you're doing well! I'm one of those people on the fence about surgery. A while back you mentioned a burning sensation down one of your arms and I'm wondering if this has eased up or resolved. Based on your description of the burning, I have the same symptom. Also, does anyone know if burning indicates anything in particular (e.g. severity of nerve irritation or damage)?

I have the burning sensation off and on. My physical therapist was fantastic and he thinks it is from the scapula. That is where those outter arm nerves pass through. My scapula became so painful from The TOS that it caused the burning in my arm. I have spent a lot of time doing massage on it- I even got those BROOKSTONE massagers so I could do it on my own. I took a while after the surgery and they are much better. All of it is so much better. I wish I did it sooner.

Best

cyclist 04-09-2014 05:07 PM

Hi per834 -
Thanks so much for posting. Really appreciate your taking the time to give back to the forum.

If I recall correctly, your surgeon was Justin Brown at UCSD, right?
I flew down to consult with Dr Brown several months ago and also met with his physical therapist, Carter. I thought both were very impressive.

Was wondering if I could ask you some more specific questions.
I will send you a PM. Hope that you might have time to respond...

thanks again -

per834 04-10-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclist (Post 1062527)
Hi per834 -
Thanks so much for posting. Really appreciate your taking the time to give back to the forum.

If I recall correctly, your surgeon was Justin Brown at UCSD, right?
I flew down to consult with Dr Brown several months ago and also met with his physical therapist, Carter. I thought both were very impressive.

Was wondering if I could ask you some more specific questions.
I will send you a PM. Hope that you might have time to respond...

thanks again -

Sure! Carter was amazing!!!! Fantastic! I can't say enough good things about him. He is very knowledgable. I have terrible insurance so I did not get to see him enough but I wish I could have.

Eight 04-27-2014 10:07 PM

Was it bilateral?

per834 05-02-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eight (Post 1066233)
Was it bilateral?

No, just the left side.