NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   PCS and workers comp (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/196290-pcs-workers-comp.html)

NikkiG_PT 10-26-2013 08:05 PM

PCS and workers comp

I am an absolute wreck right now. I'm sure someone out there has been through something similar and can give me some advice.

Just a quick recap, I am a home health physical therapist and I was rear ended between patients in January. I got a concussion and have been dealing with PCS since. 2 months ago I was put on an antidepressant that really worked combating my depression. But I still suffer from a few migraines each week, irritability, delayed processing and poor short term memory. I was told that I would need to go back to work in January, out 1 year. So my psychologist and psychiatrist recommended that I get out every day and slowly increase the length of my trips and get back to the gym for light cardio bc my job is physically strenuous.

I just found out that my workers comp company has been following me and they feel that I am faking it bc I'm leading a normal life. But the problem is that I'm not....I'm living in a world of fake it til you make it.

I hate how I'm feeling right now. I am doing what I'm instructed to do and I'm getting punished at the same time. I would love to go back to work, I took a
$6k/month pay cut being on workers comp. I just feel helpless and guilty. I don't know how to snap myself out of this and stop crying. I think I'm more upset that they think I'm screwing the system than me having to go back to work.

Mark in Idaho 10-26-2013 11:43 PM

A thorough NeuroPsych Assessment will include validity testing to check for malingering. You may be visibly able to function but the observer can not tell the misery and struggles you are having in your head.

The WC claims people need to watch the YouTube series by John Byler called You Look Great. He has further developed his presentation. Too bad WC will never see it.

It is amazing how WC and others think we want to take an 80% cut in pay just so we can avoid work. Do they ever think about how we end up so financially destitute that we can not afford to do anything enjoyable in our "free" time. I doubt they followed and observed you long enough to see your true routine and functions.

I can put up with and do just about anything for a short period, especially if I rest up and can rest afterward. The exception is sensory overload. It will shut me down within 10 to 20 minutes.

Have you read Attorney Gordon Johnson's www.tbilaw.com and www.subtlebraininjury.com web sites ? They are very informative.

btw, I scored near perfect in the validity tests (48 and 49 out of 50) and still the NeuroPsych claimed I was faking it. 37 and below is the starting threshold for a malingering diagnosis.

It is no consolation but just know that you are not alone. Many of us have been where you are right now. My work comp claim was denied even at the appeals level.

btw, What anti-depressant has worked for you ?

My best to you.

Su seb 10-27-2013 01:34 PM

Workers comp

I have been dealing with the workers comp system for 13 months.
My advice:
Get a QRC (quality rehabilitation consultant). Google it
Get a good lawyer that has experience fighting concussion cases.
Get all the medical help you need even if they don't approve it.
Don't let their system drive you crazy. They can cause so much stress!
Su Seb