NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Concussion Activities (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/182423-concussion-activities.html)

Consider 01-15-2013 09:53 AM

Concussion Activities

Here's my list of PCS activities so far:

Latch Hook Kits
Coloring
Having friends over
Attempting to nap (15 min intervals)
Podcasts
Listening to Relaxation Music (This is very therapeutic for me)
Sitting in candlelight in my comfy chair
Posting on forums
Calling friends
Eating an apple
Listening to Videos (I turn my Ipod over so I don't see the screen)

These are the activities I have questions about:

Television (1 hour a day)
Some Computer Time (30 mins a day)
Certain Types of Music
Legos or Lincoln Logs (I would love to start building with Legos again!)
Puzzles

I know video games are a no no right now, sometimes I just wanna check Facebook or read the forums.

Are all the activities okay that I have listed including my regular ones? And if not, what are other activities I can do? I am always open to new suggestions!

Thanks! :hug:

cyclecrash 01-15-2013 10:08 AM

I used to love latch hook kits!!! I should pick one up. Thanks for that!

I have a lot of problems with friends coming over. The constant chatting and having to act normal are mentally exhausting. You might be ok with it just be careful.

I think legos are a great idea and so are puzzles. One other one I've been doing is paint by number (cause I have no talent and need the numbers!) Baking is another good one and you get to eat what you make. I find doing the dishes afterward almost therapeutic in its simplicity.

The tv and computer time you mention sound reasonable if they aren't increasing your symptoms. Try not to watch loud, fast paced stimulating tv.

Sounds like you have some plans in place! I hope you're having a good day.

CC

Lightrail11 01-15-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consider (Post 947673)
I am always open to new suggestions!

Thanks! :hug:

Hi and welcome. You have a good list, I don't see any things there that would be detremental.

Here are some additional things I have found useful:

Mindfulness meditation. Simple activities such as the eating of an apple can be good opportunities to practice mindfulness.

Yoga. I'm just beginning my practice 2 years after my TBI, but I find it valuable, it adds a physical component to mindfulness.

Massage therapy.

Best to you as you continue to recover.

Eowyn 01-15-2013 06:21 PM

Legos and Lincoln Logs sound awesome!! What a great idea!
Puzzles could be good if they are relaxing and don't increase your symptoms. Pick easy ones.
Same for computer. Does it increase your symptoms? Does reading cause you problems? If so, then you should limit or avoid it.

TV is really really tricky. What are you wanting to watch? An hour might be okay if it is something slow-paced like PBS or documentaries. I would be hesitant to watch an hour of an action show that has a lot of music, jerky or fast editing, or anything like that. That is a minefield of sensory overload just waiting to blow your brain out your ears. Think more like Caillou or Little House on the Prairie :) Old-fashioned is good in this case -- but only if it doesn't increase your symptoms!

Mokey 01-15-2013 07:00 PM

Great list! I would have trouble with the rug kit, as I have damage to my visual system. That would trigger symptoms for me. But if it works for you!

I think that you should do what makes you feel ok, given the injury, and avoid things that make you worse, either as you are doing them or the day after. It has been a hard lesson to learn for me, and I still don't know my own limits!

Klaus 01-16-2013 10:35 AM

Good idea for a thread :)

Look up 'Librivox' on itunes podcasts, lots of free audiobooks read by volunteers.

Birdwatching.

Monica048 01-22-2013 02:48 AM

Concussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclecrash (Post 947677)
I used to love latch hook kits!!! I should pick one up. Thanks for that!

I have a lot of problems with friends coming over. The constant chatting and having to act normal are mentally exhausting. You might be ok with it just be careful.

I think legos are a great idea and so are puzzles. One other one I've been doing is paint by number (cause I have no talent and need the numbers!) Baking is another good one and you get to eat what you make. I find doing the dishes afterward almost therapeutic in its simplicity.

The tv and computer time you mention sound reasonable if they aren't increasing your symptoms. Try not to watch loud, fast paced stimulating tv.

Sounds like you have some plans in place! I hope you're having a good day.

CC

I build legos too! I got a concussion 3 months ago, but legos are nice to play with. Maybe I'll try coloring. I have a question, do you guys work? I don't. I don't know if I can under these conditions.

MiaVita2012 01-22-2013 10:37 AM

I have been making organic soaps:wink: that I noticed the smells of natural oils keep me thinking about positives, It is time consuming, it also helps me with cognitive such as problem solving, memory, complex attention, and focusing!

Monica~I had to stop everything I was doing before such as school & work because the stress was making it hard for me and symptoms got worse with stress....I miss it but I have work I need to do for me and my health....One day I hope I will go back but until then I am not rushing it.

Consider 01-28-2013 08:12 PM

More Activities!

http://www.squidoo.com/concussion-recovery

More concussion activities listed here for ideas :). I got some of mine off of this link, hopefully it helps everyone else out there! :)

xanadu00 01-28-2013 10:10 PM

Klaus mentioned birdwatching, which is a great hobby that I am still able to do.

I was into birding for some years before my accident, and even though there are very few things I can do without aggravating my symptoms, birding is something I can still do. I have to impose some limits, and looking through binoculars too much is tough on my eyes.

You can also learn to ID birds by ear, which is really fun for me. There are a number of CDs for learning bird songs, and a few websites as well. The problem is that birds only sing for a few months each year.

Birding is also a good way to meet people, even if you're uncomfortable around strangers, as I am. Learning to ID birds by sight and sound is fun and might be good exercise for the memory, though it also could be too much info and stimulation.

I also listen to a lot of audiobooks and podcasts, and spend a lot of time meditating and stretching. I try to go for walks as tolerated, and as weather permits (it's not usually very cooperative in January in MN).