NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   How do you convince your physciatrist that you're not ready for work yet (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/138459-convince-physciatrist-youre-ready.html)

Matthewdrives76 11-14-2010 06:05 PM

How do you convince your physciatrist that you're not ready for work yet

I like my physciatrist. He's a very good doctor. He's mentioned work to me a few times but I just don't feel ready. How can I convince him that I'm not yet ready to work. I mean i have so many problems and this anxiety about everything. I have anxiety about working. I don't want him to think I'm trying to get out of working but I think being on SS I've reached my comfort zone. I'm possibly thinking of working under the amount that you can make but I don't want to work full time. Any advice.

Shellback 11-15-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthewdrives76 (Post 715983)
I like my physciatrist. He's a very good doctor. He's mentioned work to me a few times but I just don't feel ready. How can I convince him that I'm not yet ready to work. I mean i have so many problems and this anxiety about everything. I have anxiety about working. I don't want him to think I'm trying to get out of working but I think being on SS I've reached my comfort zone. I'm possibly thinking of working under the amount that you can make but I don't want to work full time. Any advice.

My pdoc suggested I try going back to work just a few months after I was approved for SSDI. I simply explained to him that I am just not ready and that I need time to get better. He hasn't mentioned it since.

Mz Migraine 11-15-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthewdrives76 (Post 715983)

By telling him exactly what you told us!

"I just don't feel ready."

finz 11-15-2010 06:33 PM

SSDI's Ticket to Work Program is designed to allow you to try to get back to work, but still have SSDI coverage if you are unable to work.

I know that it can be difficult to express onself clearly when you've got so much on your mind.......you might even think about writing down the points that you want to make with your doctor. Statements like, "I'm possibly thinking of working under the amount that you can make but I don't want to work full time" might sound to some like you really do not want to work full time. If the truth is that you are afraid of going from zero to full time and petrified that that will overwhelm you, that's what you should say to your doctor.