NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Finger to nose test??? Important (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/38351-finger-nose-test.html)

Jodylee 02-06-2008 07:58 AM

Finger to nose test??? Important

This question is going to lead up to a whole slew of others but I want to try not to make a post that is 20 miles long:p.

Who cannot touch their fingers to their noses with eyes closed when the neuro does this test?

If you can't do it, are you still able to walk with our without aid?

I usually end up touching somewhere above my nose by my eyebrows.

This is really important because my dh and I are seriously beginning to doubt my doctor:( .

D_HOLLAND 02-06-2008 08:21 AM

Chris can't even with his eyes open. He is currently using either a walker or wheelchair 95% of the time.

Nevada Leftie 02-06-2008 08:52 AM

I can touch my nose with my finger with my eyes closed. I am in a wheel chair 95% of the time and when I do walk it is with a cane or touching a wall.
Why?

Jodylee 02-06-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevada Leftie (Post 208250)
I can touch my nose with my finger with my eyes closed. I am in a wheel chair 95% of the time and when I do walk it is with a cane or touching a wall.
Why?

My neuro said that he has never had a patient be unable to do this and still be walking. I use a cane at home and for short times when I'm out.

Most of the time I have to use a wheelchair if going somewhere that requires more than a minimal amount of walking. I am still able to walk though, just not for a long periods.

I'm in the middle of an exacerbation, btw.

Thanks for asking!:)

hollym 02-06-2008 10:16 AM

Maybe it was just a random observation by the neuro. It was interesting to him that you were still walking when his other patients who can't do that, aren't. I wouldn't take it as more than that. I have failed that test before when I was at my worst, I was having great difficulty walking with a cane at that time. I have since improved a lot and can pass that test again.

There are no absolutes in neurology. Everyone's brains accomodate for damage differently. I wouldn't worry about it.

FinLady 02-06-2008 10:30 AM

My right hand fails to touch the nose with the eyes closed, and I'm still walking without aid. (my right side is the most effected)

I do have some balance issues and intermittent drop foot though.

lady_express_44 02-06-2008 10:35 AM

Even when I was paralyzed, I could do it. I don't get it perfectly every time, but I usually get pretty close to the tip.

The reason many of us need walking aids is not because we CAN'T walk. For me, a walking aid will give me stability (knees buckling, difficulty with balance, etc), and conserves what little energy I have.

When all I've done in a day is gone to see the neurologist, I might be feeling reasonably good . . . but two hrs later, it might be a completely different story. Some days I can garden for 3 hrs, and others I don't even get out of bed.

He is being very black and white.

Cherie

SurvivingMSwithHOPE 02-06-2008 11:13 AM

Hey Jo,

My right hand touches my nose, but left went right to the middle of my forehead, but my doc hasn't done that test since I was DX, back in May. I am not using any walking aids, altho I think it could be helpful sometimes.

I am having an exacerbation as well. I just did the "finger to nose" test myself, left finger hit middle of eye brow:confused:

I know how you feel about doubting you Doc.

Keep the faith!!

HUGSS:hug:

greta 02-06-2008 11:25 AM

Wouldn't the ability to touch your nose be a brain issue (ability to know where things are in space)? Whereas inability/difficulty walking is more generally a spinal issue. Those are my thoughts at least - not sure if they're right or not. I wouldn't worry about linking the two together too much. Sounds like a careless comment that probably would have been better kept to himself.:hug:

CayoKay 02-06-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joellelee2000 (Post 208258)
My neuro said that he has never had a patient be unable to do this and still be walking. I use a cane at home and for short times when I'm out.

your neuro's wrong (and Greta's right!)

I have failed this test for a decade, yet I still walk.

I use a cane and bilateral AFOs when I have to go more than about 100 yards.

or stiff-sided sturdy hiking boots for ankle support.

lol, I just tried it!

left hand did fine, right hand flunked miserably... landed in the region of my eyebrow.

I have to do it SLOWLY, lest I poke an eye out here.

:D