NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   new here...concussion and headache (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/68660-concussion-headache.html)

MNBeth 01-07-2009 10:08 AM

new here...concussion and headache

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I did a google search to find out more info about concussions and headaches and landed her.

I slipped on ice and hit my head 8 days ago. I was unconcious briefly but pretty much remember everything. I went to the ER and they did a CT and said everything was clear. I did have a concussion and to take it easy for a few days.

I wake up everyday with pressure in my head and a headache. This morning the nausea was bad too. I feel so slow. I am sure it will take time to heal.

One thing bothers me. I will be doing..or trying....to do a task. Like putting on a coat and gloves and it takes me time to figure out that I need to put down the gloves to put on my coat first. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but I find myself staring trying to figure out the order of things. Just simple tasks. But then I can do other things no problem. Is this pretty typical?

It is nice to be able to talk to others and read about others experiences.

Have a nice day...
Beth

RisibleGirl 01-07-2009 01:40 PM

That sounds pretty normal. Most 'normal' concussions cause fogginess and forgetfulness for a few days or so. Did you go to your doctor for a follow up? If not, I think it's important that you do, so your doctor has a baseline of your symptoms. Also, your doctor, if you've been going a while, will know if this is more than just a simple concussion.

Good luck!

shezbut 01-08-2009 12:55 AM

Hi Beth,

Welcome! Yes, the symptoms listed sound post-concussion: dizziness, headache, nausea, and confusion. All are common effects. Depending upon the severity of your concussion (traumatic brain injury-tbi), your symptoms should begin to fade as time passes. Some people continue to fight the symptoms for the rest of their life - though their injuries are more severe.

I definitely agree with the previous poster about seeing your general practitioner for a follow-up. Hopefully, you've seen him/her regularly for a long period of time, and they will be able to give you a better idea of what to expect. Do check out the sites below. The first is fabulous at explaining the entire process of TBI- injury, recovery, acceptance, loved ones, etc. http://www.tbiguide.com

I survived a mild TBI, after slipping on the ice 3/07. I had intracraneal bleeding, and was watched by neurosurgery - but didn't need a flint, thankfully :). A few of the post-injury symptoms have remained a part of my life: confusion, memory (but that was bad before the fall- now it's just really bad!), headache, and unable to multi-task. That multi-task one is a very tricky skill that people take for granted, until they lose that ability.

I wish you the best of luck & hope you fully recover very soon :hug:!

seiko 01-08-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBeth (Post 440316)
Hi everyone,

I am new here. I did a google search to find out more info about concussions and headaches and landed her.

I slipped on ice and hit my head 8 days ago. I was unconcious briefly but pretty much remember everything. I went to the ER and they did a CT and said everything was clear. I did have a concussion and to take it easy for a few days.

I wake up everyday with pressure in my head and a headache. This morning the nausea was bad too. I feel so slow. I am sure it will take time to heal.

One thing bothers me. I will be doing..or trying....to do a task. Like putting on a coat and gloves and it takes me time to figure out that I need to put down the gloves to put on my coat first. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but I find myself staring trying to figure out the order of things. Just simple tasks. But then I can do other things no problem. Is this pretty typical?

It is nice to be able to talk to others and read about others experiences.

Have a nice day...
Beth

Hi Beth, it is really important to get plenty of rest.

Scientific studies by neurologists in the Netherlands show that 1 week of relaxing at home and then a week of gradually increasing activity after leaving the hospital is best for most patients. Most of the patients who took this advice were back to normal at work or school in 3 to 4 weeks. Most of the patients who weren't told what to do took 5 to 12 weeks to get back to their normal routine. They also had more postconcussion symptoms, especially irritability, trouble concentrating, and memory problems than the patients who returned to their routines gradually.

Take care of yourself

tommywrestler 01-09-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seiko (Post 440996)
Hi Beth, it is really important to get plenty of rest.

Scientific studies by neurologists in the Netherlands show that 1 week of relaxing at home and then a week of gradually increasing activity after leaving the hospital is best for most patients. Most of the patients who took this advice were back to normal at work or school in 3 to 4 weeks. Most of the patients who weren't told what to do took 5 to 12 weeks to get back to their normal routine. They also had more postconcussion symptoms, especially irritability, trouble concentrating, and memory problems than the patients who returned to their routines gradually.

Take care of yourself

Seiko man you and Lucy don't know me from Adam but I can tell you this man your post help me out alot i sware it man i read the same stuff im going through and it helps my nerves i was told not to worry about PCS because it makes it worse but I seem to not be able too but again thanks.

seiko 01-11-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommywrestler (Post 441986)
Seiko man you and Lucy don't know me from Adam but I can tell you this man your post help me out alot i sware it man i read the same stuff im going through and it helps my nerves i was told not to worry about PCS because it makes it worse but I seem to not be able too but again thanks.

It is hard not to worry... specially when you do not know how long it is going to last...just take things one day at a time, and before you know you will feel better.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 01-20-2009 02:28 AM

I'm really new on the site but I really appreciated all the comments here. My husband had a brain anneyrism many years ago and that took some time to work through but one thing that he dealt with was nausea :( at the time it burst so I am always a little hyper vigilant about these things. It's probably just me though and so I send this with a 'grain of salt' as they say
All the Best to you!

vini 01-31-2009 03:23 PM

welcome

welcome

please remember every case is different,do go back to the docs to be on the safe side, but the markers seem to be 10 days, 6 weeks , 3 months , 6 months 1 year and 2 years for recovery of all or some of the damage, depending on the extent coma or pre /post memory loss is a good indicator so if you remember the fall the chances are your concussion is mild

but rest both mental and physical in the early recovery period is so important

your not alone with this so keep us posted