NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Smart Drugs (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/184958-smart-drugs.html)

Kenjhee 03-05-2013 06:27 PM

Smart Drugs

I searched, and found relatively little here. Anyone have experience/knowledge/opinions about nootropics, so called "smart drugs"? Supposedly they "improve memory, concentration, planning, and reduce impulsive behavior". All good things, in my book.

Mark in Idaho 03-05-2013 08:41 PM

Nootropics come in many varieties. The racetams are the more common ones. They are promoted, sometimes illegally, by body building supplement companies as good for putting extra effort into training.

These were discussed here a few years ago. I don't remember anybody reporting benefits from them.

SpaceCadet 03-05-2013 11:51 PM

I just ordered some Aniracetam last night. I'll let you know what happens.

Nick

Kenjhee 03-05-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 963272)
I just ordered some Aniracetam last night. I'll let you know what happens.

Nick

Looking forward to your report!

MentalSnapz 03-07-2013 09:40 PM

Aniracetam, and most of the Racetams have had a great deal of research done utilizing them to either help treat some form of Cognitive disorder, or help enhance memory in healthy patients.

I've been taking Piracetam, Pramiracetam, L-Theanine, and Alpha-GPC for the past year to help with my memory conditions.

I've dabbled with a few other Nootropics, like Aniracetam, Sulbutiamine, and Centrophenoxine. If you have any questions feel free to ask me, and I'll try to help to the best of my knowledge/abilities.

Kenjhee 03-08-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MentalSnapz (Post 963873)
Aniracetam, and most of the Racetams have had a great deal of research done utilizing them to either help treat some form of Cognitive disorder, or help enhance memory in healthy patients.

I've been taking Piracetam, Pramiracetam, L-Theanine, and Alpha-GPC for the past year to help with my memory conditions.

I've dabbled with a few other Nootropics, like Aniracetam, Sulbutiamine, and Centrophenoxine. If you have any questions feel free to ask me, and I'll try to help to the best of my knowledge/abilities.

Since you've been using them for a year, might we infer that you think they are working?

MentalSnapz 03-08-2013 01:13 PM

They definitely seem to be working, I've noticed over the past year my focus, along with memory recall has become a lot sharper and clearer. I've even been considering adding Centrophenoxine back into my stack and replacing Alpha-GPC with CDP Choline to aim for a more mood elevating/stabilizing stack that still is beneficial to memory and thought processes.

Mark in Idaho 03-08-2013 04:08 PM

Please keep in mind that there is a difference between enhancing a healthy brain and trying to effect healing in an injured brain. I am not saying the nootropics don't help, just that the data needs to be understood as not necessarily directed toward Post Concussion Brains.

MommaBear 03-09-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenjhee (Post 963189)
I searched, and found relatively little here. Anyone have experience/knowledge/opinions about nootropics, so called "smart drugs"? Supposedly they "improve memory, concentration, planning, and reduce impulsive behavior". All good things, in my book.

I tried one of the Racetams about 8 months ago. It basically just dramatically sped up my metabolism and I zoomed for about 4 hours while eating everything in sight, then when it wore off I crashed and was exhausted the rest of the day. (I don't even have a BI, just a couple of very old, very mild concussions, only sequelae being tinnitus.) I decided NOT to give it to my sTBI son, it would have made his impulsitivity quite impossible to deal with. But for someone who needs to get a lot of stuff done quick and willing to take it a couple times a day then suffer the fatigue later, it could work. Cognitively I guess it helped a little. Everybody is different in that regard I suppose.

dare2bdifferent 03-10-2013 12:58 AM

I have found a product called Focus Formula by NuLife to be very beneficial for me. It has improved my memory and concentration.

*edit*