NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   upcoming ACDF surgery.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/147313-upcoming-acdf-surgery.html)

shopkins 03-25-2011 07:57 PM

upcoming ACDF surgery....

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site so please bear with me while I try to figure out how to navigate thru here..lol..I have an upcoming ACDF scheduled for May 4th and am just a little weary of it. Can anyone give me any info about the experience they have had with it? I have Degenerative Disc. Disease with herniation and bulging disc in the c4-c5 and c5-c6 area.

aussiemom 03-25-2011 08:56 PM

I'd say plan on being a slug. Don't do anything but watch TV. Have somebody to drive when you must go out. Don't over do anything.

Make sure your pain Rx is there when you come home, and USE them. It's easier to knock the pain down from a low level than to let it get bad, and try to knock it down.

Your voice may sound strange, and you may have trouble eating and swallowing. That's because all that got moved during surgery. That does improve as time goes by.

The collar. Wear it. PITA I know, but necessary for healing.

Good luck!

cath1 03-25-2011 09:02 PM

good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by shopkins (Post 756309)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site so please bear with me while I try to figure out how to navigate thru here..lol..I have an upcoming ACDF scheduled for May 4th and am just a little weary of it. Can anyone give me any info about the experience they have had with it? I have Degenerative Disc. Disease with herniation and bulging disc in the c4-c5 and c5-c6 area.

I had C5, C6 & C7 ACDF 3 weeks ago.... the last post was correct, you'll watch lots of TV and do practically nothing. You will need to wear your collar 24/7, take you meds on a set schedule (don't wait until you hurt, then its too late), have someone helping you with EVERYTHING for the first 2 weeks, my husband is still washing and drying my hair, I can't raise my arms above my head for that long. The first 3 days are a blur, drugs are a good thing for this. Stock up on lots of your favourite liquids, lozenges for a sore throat, soft foods like pudding, yogourt, oatmeal, ensure, soups.

I have DDD with had disc herniations with osteophytes pushing on nerves, I'm better now then before surgery, but I'm still doing nothing and still on pain meds, and it's been 3 weeks. i'm slowly getting stronger each day, but it's a LONG recovery. Don't plan on going back to work too soon. I was told 6 months post op for my return.

The day of surgery isn't that bad, I was ready by the time it came, and they drug you enough that you will feel fine.

Good luck and God Bless.
Cathie

ginnie 03-26-2011 09:15 AM

Re: stay positive

I know you have done your homework and are prepared for surgery. Try to stay positive about it too. There will be encouragement from this site too. I am post C3-7, my second fussions. This for me was painfull but I got though it. There is another on the threads who is just two weeks post, and still pretty sore. I hope your surgery goes real well and that you get the relief you need to have a better quality of life. Don't be afraid to ask for more meds in hospital if you need it. I was treated very good for pain. ginnie

shopkins 03-26-2011 11:40 AM

upcoming ACDF

Thank you all for your posts. It does really help to see and read the posts here and to actually have someone reply as they have been thru the same thing is so very helpful..I will keep everyone posted as the time gets nearer and the surgery happens.. I have a really low tolerance to pain meds so I try to avoid them or put them off til just cant take it any longer and of course by then im in really bad pain. But thank you all for your kind woreply's to my post..