NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   We need a Sticky Called "Ya Gotta Be A Detective" (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/121210-sticky-called-ya-gotta-detective.html)

nide44 05-02-2010 08:25 AM

We need a Sticky Called "Ya Gotta Be A Detective"

With all the interactions of meds and diet as well as
contributing medical conditions that have PN as a side effect,
or a down-the-road long-term issue-a comprehensive
detective-watch article (with links to necessary threads & sites)
needs to be written.
A summary, all in one place, not broken in little bits
with a zillion searches needed to ferret it out.
I don't have the background or medical knowledge,
but it is really needed, especially for newbies - I believe.

mrsD 05-02-2010 08:49 AM

So true.... I'll consider it. http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...gglassgif2.gif

But you know I don't think the stickies get much attention. People are always posting on them asking where the stickies are!

But yes, this is becoming my refrain.... one thing that makes responding to questions here difficult is that people don't always reveal what is the real problem....it is so close to them they don't even consider it! Drugs especially, but food too. Changing either is difficult for some as well.

nide44 05-02-2010 09:59 AM

Maybe a collaborative effort with some others on the site ??
One on foods, one on meds, one on conditions that cause, etc?

mrsD 05-02-2010 10:27 AM

Okay, I'll take it to the support team to see if they agree.

First though I'd like to see other posters impressions on this idea.

Kitt 05-02-2010 11:20 AM

I'd like to see a "sub" forum under PN where other things are talked about and not related to PN at all. Just like the MS forum where there is "The Stumble Inn". JMO You asked and I replied. Thanks.

This doesn't really pertain to what Bob B is suggesting but I thought I would throw this out there.

Joano 05-02-2010 09:39 PM

I think this is a terrific idea. I read this site every day hoping to learn something new in the treatment of PN. For me, I do not wish to take any medication to ease the pain as I have already suffered from the side affects of various drugs. Also, I drive my grandchildren around a lot and need to have my mind unfuzzy while at the wheel. However, I do take the supplements recommended, and feel they offer many benefits. I've also eliminated sugar and potatoes and other night shades in an effort to reduce the pain and sleep better at night.

These hints are invaluable, alongwith topical treatments like menthol lotions, magnets, salon pas, etc. These are a few of my thoughts... Joan

Swmnupstrm 05-03-2010 07:32 AM

Joan, I have to agree. It would be nice if we could gather these over the counter aids in one place.

JoanB 05-03-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joano (Post 650815)
These hints are invaluable, alongwith topical treatments like menthol lotions, magnets, salon pas, etc. These are a few of my thoughts... Joan

I've thought about something similar: little tips like turning your socks inside-out so that the seams don't irritate your toes. I know most everyone knows that one, but things like that. I have a few to share.

Just a thought from the other Joan. :)

mrsD 05-03-2010 09:33 AM

Just an update... I will be sending a request today to DocJohn for a subforum here.

We should know in a few days. Typically he picks the titles, but I will include Bob's as a sample we like.

The PN forum here has become very busy lately, and after four years of being here, it is clear that some housekeeping is needed.;)

Rrae 05-06-2010 06:52 AM

This is GREAT !

When referring the new folks to the PN forum, what would be a good way to KEEP the new sub-forum as an 'informative site' only? In other words, how to keep the sub-forum from getting cluttered up with a bunch of questions that should be asked on the regular PN forum?

I'm seeing that a lot of new folks are somewhat intimidated on not knowing for sure WHERE to post their first question/introduction.

Would this new sub-forum be 'locked' so that it remains an 'information site' only? And if so, would there be a way for a new member/visitor to know this....such as a thread instructing them to go to the regular PN forum for Q's and discussion?

Great idea everyone! Thumbs up!
Rae