NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   can low dose Gabapentin improve mood? (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/152932-low-dose-gabapentin-improve-mood.html)

Mari 07-02-2011 01:01 AM

can low dose Gabapentin improve mood?

Hi,

I started 120 mgs Gabapentin (a little less than half of a 300 mgs capsule) seven days ago.

My sis and my todc have noticed that I am more animated, energetic, and generally more up than I have been for a long time.

M.

bizi 07-02-2011 01:09 AM

Yes it s used as a mood stabilizer, how do you feel? does it feel good? are you sleeping any better?
bizi

waves 07-02-2011 01:29 AM

as a MOOD Stabilizer???? no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabapentin#Negative

Quote:

Gabapentin has been prescribed in the mental health context. Numerous trials show that it is not effective as a mood-stabilizing treatment for bipolar disorder and so has no therapeutic advantage in having fewer side-effects over better established bipolar drugs such as lithium and valproic acid. Gabapentin has limited usefulness in the treatment of anxiety disorders such as social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder, in treatment-resistant depression, and for insomnia.
in the 90's they were TRYING to use it as a stabilizer.

it's mostly used for neuropathic pain and other nervous pain, seizures and off label for migraines. those i've personally heard from who took it as a "stabilizer" either had no success or the "apparent" success wore off after the grogginess that comes with getting used to it.

i personally found that when i took the odd dose for sleep, i was much more relaxed the next day... lower anxiety. so if a baby dose (eg 100mg or even 50mg) actually had an effect on you, and you didn't get "used to it," i could see it helping you feel more "chilled out."

why were you given it? anxiety, sleep, mood stabilizer, other?

i am shocked that any doc nowadays is giving it as a mood stabilizer. for anxiety i could see trying it, and especially anxiety-related insomnia.

~ waves ~

Mari 07-02-2011 02:30 AM

nerve pain (burning)

Quote:

Originally Posted by waves (Post 783139)
[url]
why were you given it? anxiety, sleep, mood stabilizer, other?

Waves,

My internist gave it to me for nerve pain.

M.

Mari 07-02-2011 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 783134)
Yes it s used as a mood stabilizer, how do you feel? does it feel good? are you sleeping any better?
bizi

Bizi,

I go to bed earlier than I used to.
On most nights I am getting more sleep than before.

M.

BlueCarGal 07-03-2011 09:19 AM

I was prescribed it 1st in 2009 for mood stabilizing, also anxiety, in hospital. I think it started high (400-500 mg/day--does that sound possible?), then dropped to 200--finally too 100 in a.m. at release.
As I've said, it was increased back to 200 for anxiety but I had speech probs that time.

waves 07-03-2011 12:12 PM

Jude / Mari

Mari i am still concerned about this and would like you to put a call in to your pdoc/neuro about it. Maybe it is more common than i think and i need not worry, but i worry. Especially since you are outpatient...

~ waves ~

Mari 07-03-2011 03:30 PM

Dear Waves,

Quote:

Originally Posted by waves (Post 783478)
Mari i am still concerned about this and would like you to put a call in to your pdoc/neuro about it. Maybe it is more common than i think and i need not worry, but i worry. Especially since you are outpatient...

Waves,
Speech problems are listed across the internet by patients.

The PI Sheet lists the following under Nervous System:

Quote:

Nervous System

Frequent: confusion, depression;

Infrequent: vertigo, nervousness, paresthesia, insomnia, neuropathy, libido decreased, anxiety, depersonalization, reflexes decreased, speech disorder, abnormal dreams, dysarthria, emotional lability, nystagmus, stupor, circumoral paresthesia, euphoria, hyperesthesia, hypokinesia;

Rare: agitation, hypertonia, libido increased, movement disorder, myoclonus, vestibular disorder.
M

Mari 07-03-2011 03:33 PM

Dear JudeLauren

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudeLauren (Post 783451)
I was prescribed it 1st in 2009 for mood stabilizing, also anxiety, in hospital. I think it started high (400-500 mg/day--does that sound possible?), then dropped to 200--finally too 100 in a.m. at release.
As I've said, it was increased back to 200 for anxiety but I had speech probs that time.

JudeLauren,

Anxiety has certainly decreased. Mood seems to have lifted up a bit too.
I've been on it for 9 days at the approx 120 dose.

How long did you stay on the med?

M.

waves 07-03-2011 05:58 PM

Dear Mari

i do not know the specifics of the "speech issues" you are having withe the gabapentin and there is a vast range, for one. furthermore, you are a special case in terms of recent medical history.

hence my concern and insistence about calling pdoc who knows your history. but i shall stop flogging the horse now, call if you want, don't if you don't.

i hope you will be ok.

i am glad the med is having some positive effects on you as well.

~ waves ~