NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   neuro appt he changed meds (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/136172-neuro-appt-changed-meds.html)

whirlwind123 10-26-2010 05:18 AM

neuro appt he changed meds

Hi all,
I went to my neuro yesterday, I mainly have ocular, facial , swallowing and fatigue issues. He put me on 10 mg of prednisone every other day. The mestinon was not doing alot for me and I had to take such a low dose he felt it wasn't effective. When I had pneumonia 6 weeks ago or so I was put on prednisone., since that time I have felt very good. He also feel my pneumonia was from aspirating. He wants me to check my diabetes counts more often, I do not take meds for diabetes., and watch my blood pressure which I do take meds for. He also advised me to get the pneumonia shot and hepatitis b vaccines, as where I work it could be a concern. He had 3 medical students in with me and him., every one says what a wonderful teacher he is.
If anyone is on this prednisone regiman, I could use some advice for dieting as I do not want to gain weight.
Thanks everyone

redtail 10-26-2010 06:36 PM

Well it sounds as if you've got a good Dr, which is good

Hmmm pred and dieting, its such a two edged sword that drug. It worked wonders for me, but I hate the side effects. When I first went on it everyone said, oh you will put on weight and you face will blow up for sure. I really watched what I ate, low fat, sugar etc. I was fine til I had a flare up and was back on 40mg daily, then I was ravenous all the time, that was when I started putting on the weight. Now I have to really ask myself, are you hungry or is this the pred talking, its hard I must say.....
hope this helps a little
Kate

KathyV 10-26-2010 06:52 PM

I agree with the low fat, low sugar, plus low salt is important also. When I was on Prednisone for about 4 months, I actually lost weight by following a very strict low salt, low fat, low sugar diet.

brandonc 10-26-2010 10:16 PM

Im on 50 mg of pred a day right now but i cant really help you on the dieting thing becuase the mestinon really really upsets my stomache to the point tht i dont want to eat like ever so ive lost almost 25lbs since ive been on the pred

Annie59 10-26-2010 11:37 PM

FOr me the scary part of the pred was going into a mood that was really dark. Also by day 3 I literally couldnt fall asleep at all. Could the sleep part get better? Does anyone else have the sleep thing? This was only super low dose. Every time I have been on them I have gotten worse after. I had been on them for something else.

Annie59

pingpongman 10-27-2010 08:05 AM

Annie when I was on Pred I went through a period where I was only sleeping 3-4 hours a day. I didn't have any "dark" days. I did have an increased appitite. I started at 80mg for 7 days then tapered at 20mg every 3 days.

Now my bad news. I just got out of the hospital (5 days) with severe Diverticulitis. I lost 10 pounds and now so weak I can hardly make it to the mail box. Most of the doctors agree it was brought on by the high dose of Pred. I see my gastro doctor next week.
Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie59 (Post 709062)
FOr me the scary part of the pred was going into a mood that was really dark. Also by day 3 I literally couldnt fall asleep at all. Could the sleep part get better? Does anyone else have the sleep thing? This was only super low dose. Every time I have been on them I have gotten worse after. I had been on them for something else.

Annie59