NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Is new MS research the real thing, or a media-driven frenzy? (Topix) (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/112963-ms-research-real-media-driven-frenzy-topix.html)

NewsBot 01-23-2010 11:00 AM

Is new MS research the real thing, or a media-driven frenzy? (Topix)

Luanne Metz, director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at the faculty of medicine at the University of Calgary, holds a model of the human brain For long-suffering multiple sclerosis patients, it seemed like a miracle: a relatively simple new explanation for what causes the often-crippling disease, and an equally straightforward fix.

More...

(From Topix Neurology)

Jules A 01-23-2010 09:06 PM

I still hold out hope that this will help some of us but haven't been waiting for a cure.

The threat of mental and/or cognitive issues is something I'm terrified of and I do find it embarrassing to read about the hysterical behavior of fellow MS patients. I know this is emotional for us but don't think it does us any favors to act paranoid or belligerent.

Debbie D 01-23-2010 10:09 PM

couldn't click on the specific info in the article... What is up?

Dejibo 01-24-2010 10:01 AM

I had to disable pop ups to make the rest of the article pop up.

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=2475272

if you dont want to wade thru "whats your credit score!" style stuff to get to it.

Lady 01-24-2010 10:23 PM

Thanks Newsbot for that article, and thanks Dejibo for the quick link :)

I think they have been trying to find a cure or a better treatment for 150 years now. I think we should take all media information to heart and at least give it a time-test. We need hope, without it, what do we have?

We spend billions on MS drugs/treatments and symptom management to get what?-- a 30 percent reward on it's effectiveness.. They hype-up all the new drugs in the newswire, TV, and Stock quotes and videos.

Big Pharma has ads in all our MS booklets, seminars, and broadcasts that they pay for and give out hand-outs to us to persuade us to try their drug. Push the doctors to prescribe them too.

I think we the people have the right to chose what we want to get excited about. People have mortgaged their homes to get stem-cell treatment, foreign country treatments and no one mentions that one. Not that I think we should be so extreme, but people get desperate and want a cure, something to believe in. HOPE!

It's too bad they have to work harder and listen for a change to the patient asking questions about CCSVI. We need this hope, explanations, training, testing and we should be able to get treated if we have anything blocked in our bodies. Healthy or not. MS or not.

Surgeons are quick to do C-sections, Hysterectomies, even cosmetic surgery is the big deal on 16 to 18 year old children. So why is unblocking veins, if found, that could be there from birth a big deal?

If it stops MS in it's tracts, it's a positive outcome. Maybe not reverse damage, but no progression is wonderful, if that is the case. Unblocking carotid arteries is done everyday, so why the big deal at unblocking the veins? Big Pharma IMO. We can wait for more testing, but I think it is our right to have this procedure done when it's available.

Stepping down off of the soap box.:)

dmplaura 01-26-2010 08:49 AM

I read that article and honestly it sounded like media person playing devil's advocate to pull a story out of their rear end to fill a paper for the week.
I will agree that this isn't an outright 'cure', and it could come with complications and such that we don't truly know the scope of at this time, but what's important to PwMS is hope and new theories, instead of reading the same regurgitated stories we've seen over and over again.
I'm biased in my opinion largely because I'm a PwMS who can see the relationship between blood flow and the body's reaction as such makes entirely too much sense.