NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   180 mg timespan mestinson (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/214424-180-mg-timespan-mestinson.html)

xrpodn 01-06-2015 06:21 PM

180 mg timespan mestinson

I am a 73 year old male with MG for 7 1/2 years. I am now on 15 mg of
prednisone daily, and 30 mg of mestinon every 2 hours. I have to get up every
3 hours during the night to take a mestinon tab. The doctor wants
me to start start taking the 180 mg of mestinon timespan. Has anyone had any
experience with timespan good or bad?

pingpongman 01-06-2015 08:43 PM

Your age ect fits mine. My case may not as bad as yours. I take 60mg of Mestinon every 4 hrs. For first couple of years I took the 180 time span then I told them the 180 wasn't doing anything. They did a couple of over night tests on my oxygen levels and decided to stop it. I'm doing ok and reducing my prednisone. I'm also on Cellcept.
Mike

Juanitad 01-06-2015 10:09 PM

I take the 180 at bedtime and about once a year, I forget to take it. I always know the next morning that something is wrong - I am so much weaker overall and don't feel better until my 60 mg kicks in. I usually look in my pill container (I fill them up each week) and the pill is stuck in the bottom so I know I didn't take it. Have never had any problems with it and as I said, really know when I don't take it.

Sonomagirl 01-07-2015 10:43 AM

Sonomagirl

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrpodn (Post 1116762)

I take 90 mg 3 x a day of Mestinon and 180 mg of timespan at night. I Was diagnose just 18 months ago and am in the retired bracket. I have had no bad reactions to the timespan. When I'm feeling good I know I've missed the dosage at night. always a mistake. Taken every night has really helped. It did take awhile to really feel the difference in the a.m. I'm also on IVIG infusion every 6-9 weeks.
I wish you luck!
Debbie

simplelife15 01-08-2015 01:03 AM

I was on Timespan (until I couldn't afford it anymore). It made a great difference for me overnight, especially improving how I felt first thing in the morning. Between improved quality of sleep from not having to actually get up every few hours, to the slow release dose, I felt so much better in the morning when I was on it.

The only issues I had in the beginning (which I had with regular Mestinon too) is that it made me hungry, so with the Timespan for about the first two or three weeks I would wake up every night between 2 and 3 am and have to have a little snack. Just started keeping a cheese stick or a couple of graham crackers next to the bed.

JimInMI 01-08-2015 01:59 AM

It was the first medication given to me for MG 16 years ago. I had no problems with it. Just make sure the pharmacy includes a silica packet with the prescription to help keep them dry.

AnnieB3 01-08-2015 12:48 PM

It wasn't sufficient for me while sleeping. I hope it works for you!

Annie

michaelunty 01-09-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrpodn (Post 1116762)

The slow release, in my opinion, is more effective. I take 4x60mg mestinon during the day and the 180mg slow release at night.