NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   tattoo? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/143681-tattoo.html)

sarcasm 01-23-2011 11:02 PM

tattoo?

I've been planning for months on a tattoo. Currently I unfortantly read some where that they will/can effect RSD. Also, my pan Dr. want's thinks the spinal cord stimulator is the way to go. I've refused a VNS for years, so I'm not high on that. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

ali12 01-24-2011 09:04 AM

I have had 2 tattoos since developing RSD. Yes, I know that a lot of you are going to hate me for having a tattoo at my age (16 soon) but it was something that my doctor had said might help me deal with some of the pain better when I suggested it. It wasn't something that I rushed into (took me a year to decide what design to have done) and my tattoos represent my RSD. I have 3 butterflies accross my lower back, one of which is orange so represents the pain of the RSD, another is blue and for my grandad who passed away 2 years ago and the other is pink for my nanan who died from complications of MS. I've also got some scroll work (will post pictures if anyone wants to see).

I also have a tattoo on my wrist and that is flower scroll work. Always got flowers when I was in a really bad flare with RSD and they always cheered me up a little so now whenever I feel ill, I can look at my wrist and see them and hope that things are going to get better.

I didn't have RSD in my back when I had my back tattoo, though I have recently developed back problems. Been told that these aren't linked to the tattoo though and are a problem I have had from birth. I have RSD in my left shoulder and had the tattoo on my wrist. It caused some more pain and inflammation for a few days but wasn't too bad. The RSD in that hand is only minor so didn't cause loads of problems. I was told NEVER to have a tattoo or surgical procedures where my RSD is at it's worse (had a nerve block cause me to lose my coordination and an ingrown toenail removal cause spasms on my RSD leg).

I think it all depends on the indivual how they react. I know i'd never have a tattoo where my RSD is at it's worse as it would just be waaay too risky. Before having the tattoo, my doctor told me to take more pain medications (wrote a script) to hopefully try and combat any flare. Speak to your Doctor and see what he suggests.

I don't have any experience with the SCS so can't help you out on that one i'm afraid.

I hope all goes well should you decide to have the tattoo. I know for me they have been a great way of helping me see my RSD in a 'better' light, though I know some people will be against them.

Take care
Alison

finz 01-24-2011 08:39 PM

Ali......Your mom is more liberal than I am !

Last year, I bought my BFF a Boston Bruins tattoo for her 40th birthday.

I know what I would get IF I were ever going to get a tattoo, but I don't plan on ever risking it with RSD.

I would be too afraid of spreading the RSD to the new tattoo area to get one. It seems like I have ongoing pain issues, but certainly not classic RSD symptoms, in each area that I have 'hurt' since getting RSD.....near scar from abd hernia repair, severe sprain/strain R ankle, bursitis L hip, tendonitis R elbow, bad bruise R shin. Things that should not still hurt, but do....... So, I would be afraid to purposely 'injure' myself with a tattoo.

With that said, I continued to donate blood after RSD and have never had a problem with that. I've had blood work and shots, etc too..........so who knows ?

While none of us would WANT our RSD to spread, I can also understand what Ali said.....she gets a smile when she looks at her twined flowers on her wrist. Sometimes one simple smile can brighten a whole day.

sarcasm 01-25-2011 01:54 PM

I had another nerve block Sat. Once again the pain Dr. had to fight to find a vein in the neck. Since the RSD had jumped to the left foot I had plenty of band-aids on the feet this time. Unfortunatly, both are still giving me the crap they had before , but not as many Sat. I'm hoping it's because so many needles were used & they have not yet "thawed out".

Since the tattoo I want will be behind the shoulder I'll have to give it a try. I've wanted it before I knew I have RSD. I like skulls & I came across it while I was still on the crutches. Thought it was fitting..It's a skull head w/ a scorpion wrapped around it.