NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   cayote question (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/88610-cayote-question.html)

knittenkitten 06-03-2009 08:04 AM

cayote question

We live in a heavily wooded area. Friends and neighbors tell us there are cayotes in the area. We have never heard them or seen them but I believe they are there.

Two days ago we had a dead cat on our road. The cat had been attacked by another animal which left it. It did not eat it. Yesterday afternoon I was sitting on the deck and heard a deer across the road snorting at something. Now I am worried about letting my cat out during the day. I am afraid she will be attacked.

Does anyone know - do cayotes hunt during the day or only at night? Do I need to guard my cat during daylight hours?

Blessings2You 06-03-2009 10:51 AM

We've seen coyotes in the daytime, as well as at night. Other animals also attack and kill cats. Our cats stay inside.

braingonebad 06-05-2009 12:10 PM

In my area, they are very low key during daylight. Although, like a dog, they'll wake up and do what they need to in a moments notice. If awakened by a cat, I'm sure they'd go after it no matter what time of day.

But generally they are out and about most at dusk to dawn. They seem to be kind of shy that way. They'll come right up to town, but don't like to be seen.

We also have preety big hawks and such. My dogs are small, and one was only a few ounces when we got him. I never left him outside alone, because the hawks would eye him up and I knew I was the only thing keeping him from being lunch.

I'm still careful with the dogs. I let the go pee then check on them and call them in.

I feel this way - I wouldn't leave my purse out there alone so why would I leave my pet to fend for himself? Pets mean more to me than money.

PolarExpress 06-05-2009 10:57 PM

We have coyotes in the valley across from our house, and they will occasionally drop by the neighborhood if the country pickins are lean. I keep my animals on leashes when they're out (even the cats), and stay out with them while they're there..The coyotes are out late evening to early morning, but like brain said, they'll wake up and kitty hunt if they have the opportunity. We also have turkey vultures and eagles around here, so my pets are supervised. I'm just a little paranoid, I guess..:o

jaded2nite 06-08-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braingonebad (Post 519630)
I feel this way - I wouldn't leave my purse out there alone so why would I leave my pet to fend for himself? Pets mean more to me than money.

I love that!! True so True!!!

knittenkitten 06-08-2009 12:26 PM

Thanks for your comments. She obviously does not feel safe wandering on her own because she has taken to staying on the deck or front porch if she is out alone. Now, it is another situation if my husband is out. It is so cute. She follows him around like a puppy dog.

Yesterday she was on the porch and had a run in with a neighborhood cat that roams around the area. It wasn't a bad fight but I'm proud to say my little girl gave the other cat what for. She is a toughie.

Sorry for spelling coyote wrong. I knew it was wrong but I couldn't figure out what was right. Chalk it up to old age.