NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Deos it get better? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/190165-deos.html)

ED 06-17-2013 04:10 PM

Deos it get better?

Hi everyine just need to know does it get bettter and
will i get my old life back?

ED

Mark in Idaho 06-17-2013 06:32 PM

You may not get your old life back but you will get a life back that will allow you to have a full life. It will get better.

Such a blanket question is difficult. How are you doing ? What symptoms are you still struggling with the most ?

What changes have you made in your daily life to reduce stress so you can let your brain heal ?

ED, it will help us follow your recovery if you stay with this thread. If you start a new thread with questions, we have to research your other posts on other threads to find out what has been discussed. We have PCS, too. Some of us have horrible recall difficulties.

Virginia in Canada 06-18-2013 05:43 AM

Hi ED,

I agree with Mark. You may not get your old life back but your "new" life can be just as fulfilling.

Heavy partying, loud music, flashing lights may always cause problems. But getting together with a few friends for a barbeque or to watch a sporting event is possible.

Let us know what symptoms you are having and we can help.

Virginia

MsRriO 06-18-2013 06:23 PM

Absolutely it gets better.

We are designed to heal. I believe that.

Patience, patience, patience.

And adjustment to new normal helps a LOT.

ED 06-20-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ED (Post 992955)
Hi everyine just need to know does it get bettter and
will i get my old life back?

ED

Its a lonely feeling, being in this condition, it feels hopeless, no one can do anything. Today i pushed the issue with my nuerologist to confirm what is happening to me he said mri normal there is nothing wrong. I said aside the fact i have a concussion, he replied i bumped my head he said because nothing shows on mri he cant speculate. Nevertheless he said my symptoms r from me bumping my head that in time it should resolve. I mentioned other tests, such as fmri, eeg, pet etc... he said not necessary. He said to get another opinion , from a different neurologist. Im going crazy.

Mark in Idaho 06-20-2013 08:00 PM

ED,

Doctors CAN NOT DO MUCH to help you. More imaging and diagnostics will be of No help. fMRI will possibly show that you have an injury but it will not change the fact that you have to take part in your recovery.

What are you doing to help your brain heal ?

Have you read the Vitamins sticky at the top ? Your brain needs good nutritional support. It is polluted from the injury.

Again, what are the symptoms that you struggle with the most ?

Your obvious anxiety is the worst thing you can do for recovery. Anxiety is a brain polluter. It only makes life worse. This is again why you need good brain nutrition.

Vitamins, diet and such are not a cure but they are a start to allow your brain to heal. Combined with stress reduction and proper quiet rest and your future looks good. Without these changes, your future may improve or you may cycle through the roller coaster of PCS for months or years. It is up to you to try to take some control over this situation.

My best to you.

mouse1 06-21-2013 08:56 AM

Ed,

To answer your question, yes it does get better. I am virtually back to normal apart from still having headaches and fatigue. You will get better too, but its very early days for you, you need to reduce demands on yourself and relax.

The fact that the MRI is clear is good news. The problem is head injuries can still take a long time to get over, you are going to need lots of quiet rest.

I know it is difficult, but stop worrying you have a concussion not a permanent brain injury. Anxiety only increases the symptoms of PCS. Many users of this forum, myself included, have been helped by antidepressants. As well as improving mood and anxiety, many also help reduce physiological symptoms in turn, reduce pain and improve sleep.

Lightrail11 06-21-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ED (Post 993948)
Its a lonely feeling, being in this condition, it feels hopeless, no one can do anything. Today i pushed the issue with my nuerologist to confirm what is happening to me he said mri normal there is nothing wrong. I said aside the fact i have a concussion, he replied i bumped my head he said because nothing shows on mri he cant speculate. Nevertheless he said my symptoms r from me bumping my head that in time it should resolve. I mentioned other tests, such as fmri, eeg, pet etc... he said not necessary. He said to get another opinion , from a different neurologist. Im going crazy.

An option to seeing another neurologist would be to consult with a clinical neuropsychologist. A clinical neuropsychologist specializes in brain/behavior relationships; their approach is more focused on resolving cognitive, behavioral and emotional deficits than a neurologist typically would be. A full neuropsychological assessment would be expensive but if you have health insurance this may be covered.

Your injury is fairly recent. Progress in TBI recovery is more often measured in weeks or months rather than days. Your recent posts have more detail and seem more thought out and focused than your early posts, which in and of itself suggests you are already improving.

Look for the positives rather than dwelling on the negatives. You can’t change the fact that you suffered a concussion, but you can be an active participant in your recovery. As Mark stated your anxiety is not helpful. People recover. Wishing you progress each day.

hockey63 06-21-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ED (Post 993948)

I can relate.

anon1028 06-21-2013 09:14 PM

brin injjury from prescription drugs and in same boat

It was a hypertensive crisis caused by drinking beer with maoi, a type of antidepressant that causes a stroke if you ingest tyramine, a substance found in beer. trying to put the pieces of my lif together for 6 years now.