NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   foot dystonia (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/238453-foot-dystonia.html)

schwad01 07-29-2016 06:30 PM

foot dystonia

Quick question-- my foot dystonia in the morning are my worst complaint--ive tried various things-- warmth-magnesium, etc without benefit--it definitely improves with anxiety reduction or distraction--so im wondering-if like with any involuntary muscle contraction-- that has to be ionized calcium -or intracellular calcium mediated in the end--whether or not the transition from sleep to wake which is associated with a mild decrease in carbon dioxide which will move calcium unto binding proteins and lower the ionized fraction---is at least partially responsible-- if it is-then maneuvers like breath holding or rebreathing-eg into a paper bag - would help or prevent them--anyone ever try???

made it up 07-29-2016 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwad01 (Post 1218719)
Quick question-- my foot dystonia in the morning are my worst complaint--ive tried various things-- warmth-magnesium, etc without benefit--it definitely improves with anxiety reduction or distraction--so im wondering-if like with any involuntary muscle contraction-- that has to be ionized calcium -or intracellular calcium mediated in the end--whether or not the transition from sleep to wake which is associated with a mild decrease in carbon dioxide which will move calcium unto binding proteins and lower the ionized fraction---is at least partially responsible-- if it is-then maneuvers like breath holding or rebreathing-eg into a paper bag - would help or prevent them--anyone ever try???

Hi and welcome to this group,
Thanks for sharing your youtube project on P.D. lots of good advice.
I used to get dystonia in my foot more noticeably first thing when rising in mornings too.
The only suggestion I can think of is to up your levodopa intake or at least try and take your morning Sinemet or similar dosage 1/2 to 1 hr before getting out of bed.
Dystonia in general I find responds well to adding an extra 50mgs of Sinemet to what you would normally have for your current dose if it continues throughout the day too.
Best wishes.

Camt68 07-30-2016 01:39 PM

Quote:

Try CBD oil. I get mine from CW Hemp.

mrsD 07-30-2016 01:45 PM

I would make sure your magnesium is not OXIDE form, as that is not absorbed much orally.

You can try soaking in epsom salts the night before and see if you notice any improvement. If so, a topical cream applied to your spasming feet might help better than oral:

Magnesium Sulfate Cream from Kirkman

Not all oral mag gets to all body parts equally. Sometimes a topical form works more efficiently.

moondaughter 08-01-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1218804)
I would make sure your magnesium is not OXIDE form, as that is not absorbed much orally.

You can try soaking in epsom salts the night before and see if you notice any improvement. If so, a topical cream applied to your spasming feet might help better than oral:

Magnesium Sulfate Cream from Kirkman

Not all oral mag gets to all body parts equally. Sometimes a topical form works more efficiently.

yes! I agree that is worthwhile to experiment with diff forms and brands of magnesium..I also like magnesium threonate and of course citrate . Am also trying ionic magnesium from "metabolics".

I have found relief from foot drop in a form of tai chi called arrow and bow walking.....very slowly.

Also I reccomend foot reflexology treatment and footwear that is minimalist wiith extremely flexible and flat soles with absolutely no rise at the heel - I oftenn wear the vibram five finger shoes that articulate the toes...these shoes have made all the difference and I have long felt that our feet are a major site of focus for location of "blockage" .

Kind regards
MD :)

fbollaci123 08-01-2016 07:20 PM

dystonia

Quote:

Try Botox... I saw a video of Michael J Fox talking about wearing hard shoes for his foot dystonia.

TexasTom 08-03-2016 03:25 PM

I never knew what Dystonia was. Just never heard of the term, but my toes would curl under and my foot try to roll over. I always wore out the outside back edge of my shoes.

Finally had foot surgery and rods inserted to "straighten my toes". While it helped, I still had the curling.

When I had met my MDS she mentioned the way I held a pen was different, and I've always been told "you make it look painful to write". Dystonia.

eds195 08-03-2016 05:33 PM

Have an appt with my neuro end of August to discuss Botox injections in my toes for curling/dystonia. Supposed to be a 3 month "cure", but not sure if I will go through with it until consultation.

Eric

job1119 08-14-2016 03:05 AM

I've had a lot of false starts with various "remedies"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camt68 (Post 1218803)
Try CBD oil. I get mine from CW Hemp.

but this stuff, for the last couple of weeks is great ! I feel better, on time is>, dyskinesia < (somewhat), tremors <. Could be psych, but based on six objective criteria my MDS uses I have improved in 5 of the 6 areas. It ain't cheap

Niggs 08-14-2016 04:59 AM

I'v found two things which are definitely related to my foot/ankle pain.

1. Mental health: When stressed I sleep in such a tense way that if I don't keep my finger nails short I can puncture the skin through clenching my fist. If I can manage to sleep 'uncurled' my feet are better.

2. At my last increase one of the first things I noticed was a marked reduction of foot pain/dystonia. This is confirmed by a return of pain when the med. levels get messed up due to cocked-up timings, over use of laxatives etc. In fact I now know that a sudden worsening of symptoms is due to fluctuating drug levels by four markers. Increased urinary frequency, mild dyskinesia , increased foot pain/gait disturbance and plummeting mental state.

Of course this may only apply to me.