NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Does anyone kind of 'shut down' if overstimulated (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/214391-shut-overstimulated.html)

ilikepolkadots 01-06-2015 02:07 AM

Does anyone kind of 'shut down' if overstimulated

Hi guys!

My husband, Dad, and OT all say that I kind of shut off once overstimulated. It seems like I get so fatigued just trying to pay attention to my environment that I just turn off like a pull string puppet. My posture also droops forward and I tend to stare off at the floor. During this time sound and ambient noise is gone and typically I'm just kind of dazed.

I do come back after minutes to sometimes hours but it really takes all of my concentration with relaxation to get back on track.

Does anyone else deal with this?

Is anyone else exhausted from their TBI and PCS journey?

Mark in Idaho 01-06-2015 02:59 AM

ilpds,

Many of us have gone through the same problem. My wife would notice me in that state and take my hand and leave. It was common when out is a busy public environment. I rarely have these episodes anymore but it was a few years before they went away. Now, if they happen, they are not as deep, meaning I can break out by myself in most cases.

Having someone near who understand is helpful. Be sure to be open about these with your family. My wife used to think I was lost in thought when I was just lost in my mind. I explained this and she learned to ask if I was OK.

My best to you.

Bud 01-06-2015 04:13 AM

Dots,

Sounds familiar...like this afternoon.

Spent some time at the computer this afternoon with a continuing Ed deal. Fought with the download, saving, reading and concentrating....in general, a waste of time and energy and I went blank.

I think it is a self protection mode.

Bud

ProAgonist 01-06-2015 05:28 AM

Dots,

This is called derealization. I have never seen a better explanation for this than what you wrote - you really "shut down" after a little bit of stress.

I'm suffering from PCS, and currently this is the worst symptom I have. It's really irritating, and I hope it goes away as I recover.

Slg1 01-06-2015 07:26 PM

I also suffer from this, however, I can fall asleep. I call them my coma naps because I have slept through my Dad accidentally setting off the fire alarm. I am going for a sleep study as my OT was concerned.

I agree that I think this is the brain protecting itself. I try and "cue" myself now to take breaks but this is harder than it sounds. If I know I am going out in the afternoon or in the evening I make sure I take a nap before then.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Hockey 01-06-2015 08:32 PM

Yes, I absolutely experience this.

Like an earlier poster, I agree that it's one way my battered brain tries to protect itself when I'm over-stimulated. My doctor likened it to how babies fall asleep in unbelievably noisy, bright environments, like busy stores, because their developing brains can't handle all the information overload.