NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   My feelings get hurt to easy. (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/249276-feelings-hurt-easy.html)

Brokenfriend 09-16-2017 11:14 PM

My feelings get hurt to easy.

I need to remember people seem to be taking sides against other people over issues now more then ever before. Someone in my group therapy group said something to me that bothered me. He gave me an opinion about exercising that he thought that I should be doing. They never listen to the fact that my knees are hurting me. The more that I stand on my feet, the worse they hurt. My knees are damaged. He mentioned that I should be swimming then. I said that my car is getting old, and I would have to drive a long way to another city. He thought that I should be doing that. Who does he think that he is!!!That bothered me. I might say something to him about it the next time we have a therapy meeting. If they don't like it we can talk about it in therapy. I don't know why people hear you, but they don't listen to what saying, and come up with a personal judgment. Someone else hurt my feelings, and I became upset later on. BF:hug::hug::hug:

OhKay 09-17-2017 06:24 AM

Sometimes I have to defend myself from strangers who suggest I should be doing/trying to do things I can't do, and I HATE it. It makes me feel trapped and miserable while they yammer on, but I try to be polite...

I'm sorry you had to go through that, BF. It doesn't feel good when we feel like we are being judged, or to be reminded of our limitations :hug::hug::hug:

You just lost a lot of weight, and you should be proud of yourself! :hug:
To hell with him!
I think it's a good idea to bring it up in your therapy group though. It's a controlled setting, and it would be a good opportunity for you to assert yourself, and perhaps learn how to deal with situations like that alone in the future :hug::hug::hug:

bizi 09-17-2017 10:19 AM

I am sorry that you had to put up with that. What an butt wipe.
Is there someone who could you talk to about it?
((((HUGS))))
bizi

mrsD 09-17-2017 11:17 AM

Who is leading these sessions?
A professional?

The purpose of group therapy is to learn what is meant when people arouse your painful parts of your personality.

Does this guy do this to other members of the group? Or only you?

Years ago Eric Berne MD wrote a book called Games People Play....which he developed a system to explain how people react to each other.
Here is his website:
Description of Transactional Analysis and Games by Dr. Eric Berne MD

and
Games People Play | Eric Berne | Creator of Transactional Analysis

Many therapy groups use his ideas as a platform for improving human communication.

It sounds to me like this member you describe is overusing a parent style to socialize with others, and perhaps that is why he is in the group to begin with?

I read this book eons ago when it first appeared. You could find a used copy on Amazon, and give it a try? Think of it as a roadmap to improve communication. I'd read this brilliant book before trying to confront this guy. You will be better prepared to improve your situation with him if you read it. It was written in an easy to understand style.

Dmom3005 09-17-2017 02:01 PM

:grouphug::hug:

Brokenfriend 09-18-2017 12:14 AM

Thank you everybody. I'll get through this. I'll probably talk to my councilor who is the head of the group. She probably didn't hear what the guy said. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 09-18-2017 02:24 AM

Dear BF

You sound a little better. :hug::hug::hug:

I have difficulty in those kinds of groups. I think that you are doing very well.

M

bizi 09-18-2017 09:31 AM

Yes friend please talk to your counselor.
(((((HUGS)))))
bizi