NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   too much vitamin B complex? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/16165-vitamin-complex.html)

Lily 03-23-2007 08:14 PM

too much vitamin B complex?

A naturopath gave me vitamin B complex capsules which look pretty heavy duty to repair a thiamine deficiency. It seems like overkill to me as she said to take 3 capsules a day. I just don't see how that could be good for your body as some of those might actually aggravate previous nerve damage. I don't know--maybe someone else knows.

Chemar 03-24-2007 10:42 AM

Lily

i cant personally handle B complex as it seems to make me feel very spaced out and with digestive probs and dull headache. It doesnt trouble me when in a multi, or single Bs, but just the B co capsules

I use liquid sublingual B vitamin co and handle that much better

others will likely have more infor for you re the actual amounts of Bs and nerves etc

Vowel Lady 03-24-2007 11:03 AM

I found taking too much B complex, gave me nightmares. However, I also found that taking a B50 complex combined with additional extra B12, was really beneficial to my overall health. I have a little more energy, etc. You might want to experiment a little. I've heard it said that many folks need extra B vitamins, particularly B12.

johannakat 04-20-2007 04:00 PM

some b complexes make me very weepy. Still experimenting to figure out which ingredient it is that does it....

Others make me feel great- lots more energy and easier to focus.

faith 04-26-2007 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily (Post 82492)
A naturopath gave me vitamin B complex capsules which look pretty heavy duty to repair a thiamine deficiency. It seems like overkill to me as she said to take 3 capsules a day. I just don't see how that could be good for your body as some of those might actually aggravate previous nerve damage. I don't know--maybe someone else knows.

Lily,
May I ask how you found out you have a thimaine deficiency? Does it have anything to to with your acid/alkaline balance? This is what my 8 yr. old has as shown as elevated "anion gap" on a blood test. I think this indicates a problem with metabolizing vit B1 (thiamine). I find him to do better on just two pills a day as opposed to the six she suggested.

Thanks
Faith

Chemar 04-27-2007 07:08 AM

Hi Faith :)

mrsD may be able to shed some light on this for you when she checks in

mrsD 04-27-2007 09:12 AM

re: acid base chemistry....

Quote:

Originally Posted by faith (Post 92078)
Lily,
May I ask how you found out you have a thimaine deficiency? Does it have anything to to with your acid/alkaline balance? This is what my 8 yr. old has as shown as elevated "anion gap" on a blood test. I think this indicates a problem with metabolizing vit B1 (thiamine). I find him to do better on just two pills a day as opposed to the six she suggested.

Thanks
Faith

Hello, Faith... this is a really complex question.

Hard to answer, since many things cause changes in acid base readings in the blood. Here is a good synopsis of it:

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch157/ch157c.html

A thiamine deficiency can be a cause, but also genetic errors in the kidney as well. (renal tubular acidosis).

Also I found this on Wikipedia...
Quote:

The anion gap can be increased due to relatively low levels of cations other than sodium and potassium (e.g. calcium or magnesium).
and another source:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

jarrett622 05-05-2007 12:04 AM

From the research I've done no matter the size of the dose your body can only absorb 1 to 2% of each dose. Which isn't alot. Also, I've been seeing that it's difficult to overdose on the B's. The only one you really have to worry about is the B-6. But I can't remember what was supposed to be too much. I also read that it's very important to get enough Folic Acid along with the B's. B-12 is water soluble just like Vit C. Too much Vit C sends you running to the bathroom alot and that's pretty much it. It's the fat soluble vitamins such as Vit A and others that are stored that can cause overdose problems.

daniella 05-05-2007 09:54 AM

I had posted an issue on the neuropathy forum but I was told by one doc to take a b complex and then when I had blood work done I had very high b12 so the neuro told me to stop it for a week at least. What can happen from too much b12?

AK Kid 05-05-2007 10:40 AM

I was told by my doc's that your body will only absorb what it needs and will flush out the rest.

But I hear that is not true with the B vitamins. Too much of the 6 can cause problems with nerve stimulus sooooooo

I would start slow if I were you.... If I were on your "big" pills I would
keep a log of how the supplement affects you. And start with 1/2, note changes, if you notice nothing then go up to 1 and so on and so forth.

All the best to you

Kim